Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Talking Easier runtime deployment

Hi,

Python runtime and its dependent components can be installed by just running any Python application packaged using PyS60 application packager released in 1.9.4 or above. This feature is available only from S60 3rd edition FP2 devices onwards and also these devices should have been updated with the latest firmware.

Currently only PyS60 1.9.4 is available for automatic deployment.

Since the runtime is published in beta mode, we would require the IMEI number of the devices on which this feature will be tested. But for the final PyS60 2.0 release onwards, there is no need to provide the IMEI numbers.

Follow these steps for automatic runtime deployment
    - Mail the IMEI numbers (Only S60 3rd edition FP2 devices onwards) to ts.vijayan@nokia.com with the subject "IAD Testing"
    - Uninstall previously installed runtime and its dependent components from the device (Python runtime, PIPS Installer, Platform Service Extension)
    - Update the device with the latest firmware
    - Install any PyS60 application packaged using 1.9.4 or above packaging tool(scriptshell application can also be used)
    - Start the application on the device. Make sure that the phone can access the internet
    - Follow the instructions that appears on the phone.

Please test this feature and provide your feedback

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Easier runtime deployment

hello vijayan

great

mailed you the imei number.

Cheers,
    Gaba88

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    mailed you the imei number.
    Gaba88
    Added the IMEI number to the server. Please follow the rest of the instructions given in this thread

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvijayan View Post
    Added the IMEI number to the server. Please follow the rest of the instructions given in this thread
    hello vijayan

i checked the new method i have tested this in my N96 with latest firware.

i first uninstalled the PyS60 runtime and its dependencies.

then made a standalone application using the PyS60 1.9.5 packager. Installed that in the device.

First got the warning that the runtime is missing, but after the installation when i started the application nothing happened just there was a blink in the screen.

am i going wrong somewhere.

Gaba88

Super Contributor

- Install any PyS60 application packaged using 1.9.4 or above packaging tool(scriptshell application can also be used)
    Would SIS file created with 1.9.5 version of ensymble, but from command line, work? Does it really have to be created with the graphical application packager tool?

Happy with command line automation,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Smile Re: Easier runtime deployment

Does that mean that the PyS60 Scriptshell, in future (Distributed by Nokia), would only need to be installed if I have a data connection? I don't have to download that heavy SIS file again

What is the plan for future releases which would not be backward compatible(if any)? Would it identify the PyS60 version used and download the one needed? Could there be a parameter addition to PyS60 application Packager to mention which version is needed?

Really want to test, need some resources...

Cheers,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    Would SIS file created with 1.9.5 version of ensymble, but from command line, work? Does it really have to be created with the graphical application packager tool?

Happy with command line automation,

--jouni
    Ensymle packages the DLL that does the automatic download with every SIS that it creates. The GUI uses the same ensymble to generate SIS files. Hence there is no difference between the SIS files generated using the GUI and command line.

Nokia Developer Expert

hello vijayan

i checked the new method i have tested this in my N96 with latest firware.

i first uninstalled the PyS60 runtime and its dependencies.

then made a standalone application using the PyS60 1.9.5 packager. Installed that in the device.

First got the warning that the runtime is missing, but after the installation when i started the application nothing happened just there was a blink in the screen.

am i going wrong somewhere.

Gaba88
    Was the download of SIS file successful? Can you see "Python Runtime" installed in the "Application manager" ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh.sayibabu View Post
    Was the download of SIS file successful? Can you see "Python Runtime" installed in the "Application manager" ?
    hello mahesh

first of all nothing like download happened and i cant see the python runtime installed in the application manager.

Regards
    Gaba88

Super Contributor

Currently only PyS60 1.9.4 is available for automatic deployment.
    So if I'm using 1.9.5, it won't work? Howabout next 1.9.6 release?

- Uninstall previously installed runtime and its dependent components from the device (Python runtime, PIPS Installer, Platform Service Extension)
    I have PIPS because of Qt. Therefore it is quite possible that user could have some of those compos in device, even if she has never before installed any python app. Please reconsider your requirements!

- Update the device with the latest firmware
    Already have latest. Do I really REALLY have to update firmware? Why? Seriously, why would any user reinstall latest firmware (on top of latest) just to get this fantastic feature working? What'sthe catch?

...on the other hand I am planning to update latest 5800 firmware, even though I already have it. Seems like I have installed something crazy, which has enabled some crazy system UI debug mode, which keeps popping up info note on top right corner with some numbers related to UI speed. It's annoying, it hides important info and I feel it slows down system performance. Most of all, I hate apps which just appear from something without asking me for permission! So I will update firmware, after I've got annoyed enough

Just a moment! Earlier you said 1.9.4 only!

Puzzled,

--jouni taking all instructions literally

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    So if I'm using 1.9.5, it won't work? Howabout next 1.9.6 release?
    There are two different items involved here:
    1. PyS60 application (which needs to be installed manually on the device) - Any PyS60 application packaged with PyS60 Application Packager released with PyS60 1.9.4 or later, so that the application includes all the resources needed to pull the runtime.

2. PyS60 runtime (which is downloaded along with the packages on which it depends and installed on the device, automatically) - Currently the server that hosts this service contains PyS60 1.9.4 runtime. Hence this is the runtime that gets pulled. Due to some internal latency, it was not possible to release new version of runtime simultaneously on maemo garage and this automatic installation service. The plan is to reduce or even eleminate this latency.

I have PIPS because of Qt. Therefore it is quite possible that user could have some of those compos in device, even if she has never before installed any python app. Please reconsider your requirements!
    Its not required to uninstall these pacakges usually. Its recomended here so that you can acutally test and report if the runtime and all its dependency packages are actually downloaded and installed. FYI.. If a dependency package say PIPS, is already installed on the device, it wont be downloaded again.

Already have latest. Do I really REALLY have to update firmware? Why? Seriously, why would any user reinstall latest firmware (on top of latest) just to get this fantastic feature working? What'sthe catch?
    This particular feature (App. update) is available with latest firmares only. Hence this is a hard requirement. Newer release of the phones might have this already.

Just a moment! Earlier you said 1.9.4 only!
    Puzzled,
    Guess, it should be quite clear now

Nokia Developer Expert

first of all nothing like download happened and i cant see the python runtime installed in the application manager.
    Has anyone tested this on 5800XM ?

hi I'm new here.I want to make a package that can be installed directly on any 3rdED S60 phone even if there's no python interpreter.I tried pys60 1.9.4 first of all couldnt install it on my 6120 phone error "certificate not valid yet".But there's an exe application with GUI that makes sis packages.I gave it python files it converts itto sis packages.is that enough to be singned then installed on any 3rd S6 phones?I signed them and tried to install them but i had the following error "Python Runtime and PIPS Library ".what are baby steps to generate that kind of package using 1.9.4 application packager gui?
    thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by shery_ashraf View Post
    hi I'm new here.I want to make a package that can be installed directly on any 3rdED S60 phone even if there's no python interpreter.I tried pys60 1.9.4 first of all couldnt install it on my 6120 phone error "certificate not valid yet".But there's an exe application with GUI that makes sis packages.I gave it python files it converts itto sis packages.is that enough to be singned then installed on any 3rd S6 phones?I signed them and tried to install them but i had the following error "Python Runtime and PIPS Library ".what are baby steps to generate that kind of package using 1.9.4 application packager gui?
    thanks in advance
    hello shrey_ashraf

welcome to forum nokia dibo

First of all i will request you to start a new thread if your query is totally new.

if you need to develop a standalone application out of your script then use the new application packager which is very easy to use.

More you need the runtime and the dependencies installed in the device prior to install your actual application in the same drive. Otherwise you can merge the dpendencies and runtime with actual sis and continue with that.

Hope you got me

Thanks for ur reply.
    I've made a new thread.please give me more details about how to merge dependencies and runtime using the 1.9.4 packager tool.
    what i know is that i give the application python file as an input.in my case how what should be appropriate inputs?
    you can reply in new packaging problem pys60 1.9.4 new thread
    thanks