Discussion Board

Thread: Where To Start

Regular Contributor

Where To Start

Hi

I want to wirte oprograms in Pythion on my PC and run them on my Nokia 7610 running S60.2. Can anybody tell me what I need to download and install? What is a good tutorial to start with?

Regards

Patrick

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Where To Start

Quote Originally Posted by patlucas View Post
    Hi

I want to wirte oprograms in Pythion on my PC and run them on my Nokia 7610 running S60.2. Can anybody tell me what I need to download and install? What is a good tutorial to start with?

Regards

Patrick
    Hello Patrick

you can know everything about PyS60 from installation to coding help from this wiki article.

Moreover there are some good links in my signature which you can follow for some tutorials.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Nokia Developer Moderator

I want to wirte oprograms in Pythion on my PC and run them on my Nokia 7610 running S60.2.
    Do you mean to use Python for PC as an IDE? or what exactly do you mean by - I want to write programs in Python on my PC - Python scripts meant for PC cannot be run on mobile devices (at least not all)

Links in the signature might help.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Do you mean to use Python for PC as an IDE? or what exactly do you mean by - I want to write programs in Python on my PC - Python scripts meant for PC cannot be run on mobile devices (at least not all)

Links in the signature might help.
    Thanks for your reply.

Ideally I would like to use my PC to edit scripts/source code and run/test it on the S60 emulator (which I already have) before installing the program on my Nokia 7610.

My problem is that there are so many possible downloads that I am not sure which one(s) I require.

Please point me in the right direction if you can.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for your reply.

Ideally I would like to use my PC to edit scripts/source code and run/test it on the S60 emulator (which I already have) before installing the program on my Nokia 7610.

My problem is that there are so many possible downloads that I am not sure which one(s) I require.

Please point me in the right direction if you can.

Thanks
    Hello Patrick

Ya you are true there are plenty of options are available i personally use the editor that comes with core Python i.e. Python idle and that works good for me yet.

Moreover there is also a eclipse plugin available which is good and to test it you need to transfer it to the emulator or device where you will get a result.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Regular Contributor

All

Ok so I installed Python on my PC. Can I use any text editor to write a script? Can I run it on my PC? How? Where do I need to store it on my mobile so that it appears as an icon? Do I need to make a SIS file and then install it on the mobile? Where do I need to put files so that they are available in the emulator? Is there a guide somewhere which explains the steps to take to get a simple script from development on a PC to execution on a mobile device?

Regards

Patrick

Nokia Developer Champion

All

Ok so I installed Python on my PC. Can I use any text editor to write a script? Can I run it on my PC? How? Where do I need to store it on my mobile so that it appears as an icon? Do I need to make a SIS file and then install it on the mobile? Where do I need to put files so that they are available in the emulator? Is there a guide somewhere which explains the steps to take to get a simple script from development on a PC to execution on a mobile device?
    i guess you have not visited the link which i posted in my first post in this thread.

Moreover when you install python you will get the Python idle installed in your PC you can edit scripts using that and to check that in your PC you need the S60 emulator with Python Plugin in it.

And if you want to check it in device first install the Python runtime and scriptshell and transfer your python scripts to the device and check them there.

Hope this helps you.

enjoy pythoning
    Gaba88