Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Sender number not available in Messaging information?

Hi,

I was doing playing with Messaging Service API, when I've noted that the Sender property, returned for every messaging item, only contains the contact name when the sender's number is stored in the device phonebook. So it seems there's no way to retrieve the sender's number?

Is this correct, or I am missing something?

Pit

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Sender number not available in Messaging information?

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi,

I was doing playing with Messaging Service API, when I've noted that the Sender property, returned for every messaging item, only contains the contact name when the sender's number is stored in the device phonebook. So it seems there's no way to retrieve the sender's number?

Is this correct, or I am missing something?

Pit
    I think it is correct coz i tested it few weeks before. Even i found the similar behaviour in python. It returns the sender's number only if the respective contact is not added in the contact list. But i solve this issue in python , by searching in address book with the sender's name and fetching the number .I think we can do the same in WRT using Contacts Service API . Take a look here:
    WRT Platform Services

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft
    Last edited by sajisoft; 2009-06-13 at 18:37. Reason: Correction

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Sender number not available in Messaging information?

Hi SajiSoft,

thank you for your reply!

Yes, I've tried the approach you described, searching the contact name by using the Contact Service API, but this method presents some drawbacks:

* the messaging service returns the Sender name as a single string, containing both first and last name. On the other side, the Contact Service API tests if the passed string matches with the first OR the last name, so the whole name will not match with any of them. Some workaround can be build, by splitting the name in parts on whitespaces, but it is surely not optimal.

* also, when you manage to retrieve the contacts with the correct name, more of them could be returned (if you have more contacts with the same name). Also, in the case there's only a single contact with that name, he could have more mobile numbers, so in this case it is just impossible to identify the exact sender's number..

There are some other drawbacks (as the Widget closing itself when trying to query too much contacts.. :-\), but this is material for another post

Pit

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Sender number not available in Messaging information?

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi SajiSoft,

thank you for your reply!

Yes, I've tried the approach you described, searching the contact name by using the Contact Service API, but this method presents some drawbacks:

* the messaging service returns the Sender name as a single string, containing both first and last name. On the other side, the Contact Service API tests if the passed string matches with the first OR the last name, so the whole name will not match with any of them. Some workaround can be build, by splitting the name in parts on whitespaces, but it is surely not optimal.

* also, when you manage to retrieve the contacts with the correct name, more of them could be returned (if you have more contacts with the same name). Also, in the case there's only a single contact with that name, he could have more mobile numbers, so in this case it is just impossible to identify the exact sender's number..

There are some other drawbacks (as the Widget closing itself when trying to query too much contacts.. :-\), but this is material for another post

Pit
    Yeah! the real pain is your second point. If a single contact has more then 1 number then one can do nothing in this situation except tossing a coin (if he has 2 number against same contact) or a dice (if he has 6 numbers against same contact) and finding the probability .Just a joke. . Thanks alot for clearing these drawbacks to me.
    M afraid that the only solution left is to extend WRT with Symbian C++ server Or whether it doesnt solves the issue too :P. Surely , write here as soon as i find any solution ov this ..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Sender number not available in Messaging information?

did you find a solution?

in my nokia C5 it shows the contact name and number in
    | Messaging | Inbox | Open | Options | Message details |
    is shows something like
    KiT <+639876543210>

How are they able to show the number? is it possible in Nokia Qt SDK? C++? how?