Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Contributor

Re: [moved] Apple iPhone Developers Mostly Don't Make Much Money

Quote Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
    In practice Ovi will become the monopoly holder because [1-3]) all potential customers are there...
    Let me add another: Most Symbian S60 sites sell software as "Symbian S60" software. I'd bet 90% of people with a Symbian S60v3 phone have no clue what Symbian or S60 or V3/V5 is. To them they have a "Nokia" phone. Since OVI is selling software for "Nokia" phones, they'll be able to capture a large market that previously bought a N95 because their friend said it was the cool phone to have, and never would have gone out looking for S60 software.

-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    That's a great idea!
    Not very original unfortunately. iTunes (sorry ;-)) has an affiliate scheme, where sites get a small percentage of the sale. Works for apps but also music and other stuff sold on iTunes. But, I believe this will enforce the winner-takes-all affect that you see already in App Stores.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    Let me add another: Most Symbian S60 sites sell software as "Symbian S60" software. I'd bet 90% of people with a Symbian S60v3 phone have no clue what Symbian or S60 or V3/V5 is. To them they have a "Nokia" phone. Since OVI is selling software for "Nokia" phones, they'll be able to capture a large market that previously bought a N95 because their friend said it was the cool phone to have, and never would have gone out looking for S60 software.

-Pat
    So true. Using a Symbian OS related brand for your apps to communicate to the customer what he was buying has always been one of the more challenging aspects of this business. But with an on-device app store that problem has evaporated. S60 has become a developer-targetted brand instead of a consumer brand.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Very few ideas are actually innovating. Often, "innovation" simply comes from picking the best ideas from several places and blending them.

It's not clear to me that Apple's model "works"... for whom does it work? It may work for Apple (maybe financially, but certainly in generating a lot of publicity). And there is a small number of anecdotal stories of successful developers. But I think there is a larger number of developers who now have an increasingly dusty Apple Mac in the corner of a room.

Graham.
    Hi All,
    There has been much talk of how well Apple developers get on with acceptance compared with Ovi, however Ovi Store is not "random",like Apple see the article titled iPhone App Store roulette: A tale of rejection
    Apple's random rules for iPhone app approval are a recipe for trivial apps and alienated developers
    By Peter Wayner | InfoWorld 20 July 2009
    and at least the apps do get approved unlike this developer
    In the last three months I've submitted slightly different versions of my book reader to Apple close to a dozen times, but the code has been approved only twice.
    One of my two applications -- the free version without the new forward -- was accepted and published by the App Store after several months of rejection. I like to think of this as a victory even though the charity version with the new forward was rejected again about the same time. The only difference was an extra block of text. It wasn't even HTML -- just ASCII.
    there has been much said about sales on Apple app store but the developers view is different
    There is every indication that the App Store doesn't contribute very much to the bottom line of many developers, either. If there are 65,000 apps and 1.5 billion downloads, the average number of downloads is about 23,000. If you subtract some of the irresistible free applications like Facebook and Yelp that are just fancy Web pages, it becomes clear that selling even 1,000 copies of your application is a pretty big accomplishment.
    There is a lot of emotion in this article, but points to the fact that after the fanfair of one year on at the Apple store developers is not much better than the nearly *8 WEEKS* on the 26th july 2009 the Ovi store has been open.

This shows that the Ovi store will probably overtake Apple for support of developers in future. Once again my opinion is that judgement cannot be made until 2010 when the store has had a chance to settle down. The Apple store did not make developer sales of significance for first six months and that was before the recession started to bite. May be this work show be regarded as an investment

Thanks,
    Jim Gilmour
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-07-23 at 09:57. Reason: correct date

Regular Contributor

A little iPhone App Store Developer "mainstream news":

Wyatt Cenac explores the cutthroat business rivalry between "Pull My Finger" and "iFart."
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...-21-2009/ifeud

Regular Contributor

Back to topic.

So far S60 developers mostly don't make any money at all. If we will get 100 downloads monthly per app, there will be no developers in near future.