Discussion Board

How to purchase Verisign certificate?

Hello all,

I've finished my java app and because it depends on restricted API, I need to purchase a certificate. Does one need "to own" a registered company (ltd) to purchase a Verisign certificate?

In Slovenia (where I live) there is an alternative to LTD. It's intended for people who are normally employed during the working hours (40hrs/week), but need some form of business entity to invoice their "afternoon" clients. For example my regular job is to develop IT systems, but in my "spare time" I could be developing websites for other clients which I could then invoice.
    This form of company does have Company title, VAT number etc. The "only" difference is that one with that kind of company is responsible with all his/hers wealth.

Since I'm not that familiar with the terminology, I hope you'll understand my question.

Thanks,
    Damjan

Re: How to purchase Verisign certificate?

Re: How to purchase Verisign certificate?

Hi bhanuchandar.k,

thanks for the reply. Regarding link you posted - this is the place where I initially realized that I might have to have a legally registered organization to acquire a certificate. After some more reading, I came across text below:

VeriSign substantiates that a signing entity is a legally registered organization and contacts each organization using independently verified contact information to ensure it is that organization that is requesting a certificate. Annual audits by KPMG confirm the thoroughness of VeriSign’s approach to identity assurance.

Which, if I'm not mistaken, means that one must own registered organization to be able to purchase a certificate, because being a "freelance" developer is just not enough. Am I right?

THX in advance,
    Damjan