Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

PyS60 capabilites

Hi!

I'm currently doing my thesis following up the the work of another student, in developing an application for the S60 3rd edition platform. The application is currently written in Symbian C++ and I'm wasting a lot of time getting my head around its workings.

I'm thinking about suggesting that I potr the program to python and continue my work from there, but first I would like to make sure that it's really a viable option. I've done some python programming and I know a lot of the advantages it has compared to other languages, but what are its limitations on the S60 platform? Are all the standard libraries available? What about speed?

The application I'm working on mainly collects some data about the mobile network, saves them to a file and displays a summary of them on the screen. The summary is displayed using text and a couple of colord-bar-graphs updated each second, nothing graphically fancy at all. This should not be a problem to do in python right?

We are using a proprietary Symbian specific c++ library, I will have no problem calling this from python right?

Finally, which GUI toolkit does python use on the S60?

Thank you for your help!
    //T

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: PyS60 capabilites

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by ojve View Post
    I'm thinking about suggesting that I potr the program to python and continue my work from there, but first I would like to make sure that it's really a viable option. I've done some python programming and I know a lot of the advantages it has compared to other languages, but what are its limitations on the S60 platform? Are all the standard libraries available? What about speed?
    Speed shouldn't be an issue, though it is a bit slower than the native language, Symbian C++. Unless you have some very complex operations to do you probably won't notice any major speed difference.

If by "all the standard libraries" you mean all the libraries that are available in standard Python then the answer is: almost. The only foolproof way to find out is to try to import every library that you may need or to go to the interactive console, enter "help()" and then enter "modules". This will get you the list of available modules.

The application I'm working on mainly collects some data about the mobile network, saves them to a file and displays a summary of them on the screen. The summary is displayed using text and a couple of colord-bar-graphs updated each second, nothing graphically fancy at all. This should not be a problem to do in python right?
    Yes, Python should be able to handle displaying that without any problem. And if the data you're collecting isn't too fancy either it won't be a problem.

We are using a proprietary Symbian specific c++ library, I will have no problem calling this from python right?
    I'm not sure. You'll most likely have to make an extension out of it in order to make Python able to use it.

Finally, which GUI toolkit does python use on the S60?
    Could you please explain this question a bit more?

Nokia Developer Champion

Porting the application to PyS60 is really a very good option as it will make the development stuff very easy and fast as compare to other options. Most of the standard S60 APIs are available for PyS60 and performance wise also PyS60 is very efficient.

Your needs can be easily developed with PyS60 using the Location Module and simple file handling modules.

I am not all clear about rest questions but other members will guide you towards that.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Regular Contributor

Thank you for quick (and encouraging) replies.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Hi,
    Could you please explain this question a bit more?
    For example, when programming in "normal" python I have been using the WxPython GUI toolkit, and tkinter is what is included as by standard. Is there anything similar on the S60 or would I use Python extensions for the widgets that are available in Symbian c++, or maybe something else?

EDIT: Also, does signing your application work similar to Symbian C++?

//T
    Last edited by ojve; 2009-06-16 at 09:53.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thank you for quick (and encouraging) replies.

For example, when programming in "normal" python I have been using the WxPython GUI toolkit, and tkinter is what is included as by standard. Is there anything similar on the S60 or would I use Python extensions for the widgets that are available in Symbian c++, or maybe something else?

//T
    hello

AFAIK PyS60 is using its default appuuifw framework for providing the GUI. I may be wrong in this.

Regrads
    Gaba88

appuifw is the module you should look at. You can find out all about it in the PyS60 Library Reference, which is the official documentation for PyS60 upto version 1.4.5.

EDIT: Also, does signing your application work similar to Symbian C++?
    Similar, in a sense. Python scripts are packed into SIS files using a tool called Ensymble. PyS60 1.9.0 and later comes with a GUI version of Ensymble. The point is, you specify the capabilities you need when making the SIS file with Ensymble and then you can sign it as you would a normal Symbian app.

Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks again

Finally (I hope), which version should is should I go for? This page doesn't seem to have been updated in a long while. The sticky says that 1.9.5 has just been released, but that seems to be some kind of pre-release. This is a commercial project, so what I really need is a STABLE version with support for:
    - S60 3rd edition, FP2
    - Receiving/parsing SMS
    - Fetching GPS positions
    - VPN/IPsec, not really required but preferable.

//T

If stable is what you want I would recommend 1.4.5. I know for sure it can do everything you mentioned except VPN/IPsec. Not that it can't do that, but I don't know about it 1.9.5 is based on Python 2.5.4 and has explicit support for touch screen devices while 1.4.5 is based on 2.2.2.

Regular Contributor

Ok, great! Thanks a lot for all your help!

//T