Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

RSocket::Opne() not working in Symbian 9.4

Hi,

Day after day i am hating Symbian more and more Why do they keep making things more difficult??!!

I have a Bluetooth Client/Server engine implemented for S60 3 FP1 and it worked fine. Now i am trying to use it on S60 5 but apparently Symbian has introduced a compatibility break to RSocket::Open(). Let me explain what i am doing:

Code:
    // load RFCOMM protocol
    TProtocolDesc prtcldesc;
    User::LeaveIfError(iSocketServ.FindProtocol(KRfcomm(), prtcldesc));

// open a socket
    User::LeaveIfError(iListenSock.Open(iSocketServ, prtcldesc.iAddrFamily, prtcldesc.iSockType,KRFCOMM));

// then the BT socket code comes next but never reached because of the Leave...
    When this code is executed, the prtcldesc family is set to 257 (after looking in the different sock headers i think this means KSolInetIcmp), and prtcldesc socktype is 1 (KProtocolInetIcmp). But the application gives an error when RSocket::Open is called with a message saying "Unable to execute file for security reasons".

According to RSocket::Open documentation in Symbian 9.4 SDK it seems that the use of KProtocolInetIcmp requires NetworkControl capability which requires open signing with publisher id!!!!! WHY SYMBIAN WHY???

Have i missed something here? Am i just mixing things up? Please give me any comments you may have...

regards
    AF

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RSocket::Opne() not working in Symbian 9.4

you usually get "Unable to execute file for security reasons" when you are missing a capability.

Regular Contributor

Well, it seems that the capability that is required now with the new version of Symbian in NetworkControl, and this is not achievable with online open signing without publish id In previous releases NetworkServices was enough.

"Why, why"... Because you have a mis-understanding.
    When did Bluetooth stuff (bt_sock.h) do anything with IP stuff (in_sock.h, like KProtocolInetIcmp)?
    NetworkServices and NetworkControl has nothing to do with BT at all. Check any BT examples, or just the page "Assigning capabilities" in the SDK Help to find out which capability is really needed for BT.

Regular Contributor

ok u have got a point. i did mix up in referring to the headers. But by having a look at a sample application (BluetoothPMPExample in the forum) i found that i am using the right capabilities (all allowed 5 actually). The example refers to LIAC and GIAC which i am not using in my code, and these require NetworkControl and WriteDeviceData.

The example is using the same code snippet i included in my initial post but surprisingly it is not returning any error message!! Still i have to solve this mystery...

Thanks for the insight any ways

Hmm, the simpler examples disappeared somehow...
    Anyway, LocalServices is the "main" "BT capability". LIAC-GIAC magic is not required for starting indeed (and sorry, I was wrong about NetworkControl).

Regular Contributor

sorry i do not mean to doubt your expertise but i am not quite sure that BT requires LocalServices...

You are right about that the eclipse-based S60 5th edition SDK Help probably does not produce any useful hits for "Assigning capabilities". But that is not my problem in fact. Use older SDK-s with .chm documentation and/or download the .chm from the Symbian site.
    Anyway, here is the one-line description of LocalServices:
    Quote Originally Posted by SDK Help, S60 3rd MR
    LocalServices
    This capability is for sending or receiving information through USB, IR, and point-to-point Bluetooth profiles
    By the way, it can be also found in the Wiki.