Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question How to publish expansion packs? (1 passed, 1 failed?)

We have expansion packs for our app in the queue for the OVI store. In the PKG, we specify the main app UID3 as a required component. If someone installs the expansion pack without first installing the app, the warning "Component Missing" is displayed by the Symbian Installer. (The description of the expansion states the requirement in all caps.)

Of our two expansions in the OVI queue, it appears one QA tester installed the main app first, tested, then passed the expansion. It looks like the other didn't install the main app first, and therefore failed the SISX because of the "Component Missing" message.

Could someone from OVI clarify how to handle publishing expansions? I certainly understand Nokia's desire and requirement to not have any errors or warnings display during install, but I'm not sure how to proceed to add the rest of our expansion packs.

Thanks,
    Pat

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to publish expansion packs? (1 passed, 1 failed?)

Wasn't this discussed before, in the same context as custom content for example? You should not attempt to publish something which has the risk of not working on customer's phone.

We had a discussion recently also about publishing an app without having embedded the needed runtime (OpenC). That too was displaying a warning, that too was rightfully rejected since the warning message is not at all useful to a customer and the purchasing experience is ruined if he/she cannot run the downloaded application/component/video/image/book/whatever.

In an ideal world the Ovi Store client would be so smart that you can declare these dependencies (as package UIDs) in the Ovi Store backend and the store will only make the content available to those customers which already have your application installed. It seems that we are not there yet.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Wasn't this discussed before, in the same context as custom content for example?
    Not sure, but sorry if it was. I posted a similar message a week or so ago but no one replied.

You should not attempt to publish something which has the risk of not working on customer's phone. We had a discussion recently also about publishing an app without having embedded the needed runtime (OpenC). That too was displaying a warning, that too was rightfully rejected since the warning message is not at all useful to a customer and the purchasing experience is ruined if he/she cannot run the downloaded application/component/video/image/book/whatever.
    I think we're talking about two different things. I completely understand/agree that an app should be bundled with all the required files to run after install. No end user should have to know anything about shared libs and stuff.

What I'm talking about is add-on passive content. For example: Maps for a GPS nav app, language files for a dictionary app, songs for a music game, new tracks for a racing game, levels for an RPG, etc. Where the two pieces of content represent two separate transactions. For example, the GPS nav software might be $15 and 10MB but add-on cities are only $5 and 200KB each.

In an ideal world the Ovi Store client would be so smart that you can declare these dependencies (as package UIDs) in the Ovi Store backend and the store will only make the content available to those customers which already have your application installed. It seems that we are not there yet.
    That would be ideal! An easier solution might be to have the publisher fill in a parent app ID in the content metadata then display a message or icon on the app store page.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Last edited by proberts; 2009-06-21 at 12:10.

Indeed, it is different type of content or rather different type of dependency. One app might need a runtime library so that it can be run just as well as as your extension pack requires the main application to be on the device. The end results is the same from user's perspective.

I think the topic we were discussing here way back was about eBooks and how they could be each delivered with the reader application itself embedded in the package, thus ensuring that the user has the means of reading that content.

Of course such strategy would not make sense if the application itself is very large.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Indeed, it is different type of content or rather different type of dependency. One app might need a runtime library so that it can be run just as well as as your extension pack requires the main application to be on the device. The end results is the same from user's perspective.
    Certainly the experience is the same, but the perspective is different - at least for PC and game consoles. If I buy filters for Photoshop, templates for Excel, or add-on campaigns for Fallout 3 and install them without the application they are intended to enhance, none of them will run. On PC or GCs, I think people would agree it was my mistake as long as it was clearly labeled.

One could argue that phone consumers aren't yet as sophisticated as PC and Console consumers, which may be true.

Of course such strategy would not make sense if the application itself is very large.
    Or if the copyright is controlled by another company (Corel templates for Excel), if the price is different, or if the same passive content is capable of running on many different platforms with the correct native app - like a MP3 or MP4 file.

I think the topic we were discussing here way back was about eBooks and how they could be each delivered with the reader application itself embedded in the package, thus ensuring that the user has the means of reading that content.
    I searched the forum and couldn't come up with a thread about eBooks. Would you happen to have a link? I'd be very interested in reading the thread.

Thanks,
    Pat

You are right, there are many limitations that might be preventing you from embedding an app with the content. The old thread is http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=159246
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    I searched the forum and couldn't come up with a thread about eBooks. Would you happen to have a link? I'd be very interested in reading the thread.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Hi Pat,
    Searched, try http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ghlight=ebooks
    Thanks,
    Jim

Regular Contributor

Thanks I must need to update my version of the Google

The thread seems to be more about what format to distribute eBooks in, rather than how to handle supplying the content.

Lucian- reading your comments in the eBook thread, am I correct that Nokia's current position is no DLC should be distributed through OVI. Rather publishers should themselves distribute DLC directly to consumers?
    Last edited by proberts; 2009-06-23 at 22:21.

Regular Contributor

Bump

I've got a bunch of plug-ins and need to know if we can sell them through OVI or if we need to create our own mechanism to sell them direct. (Our plug-in packages have passed Certified Signed.)