Discussion Board

US 'T-Mobile' Nokia Devices For Ovi Store - Signing Issue

Dear Ovi Store Support,

We are currently working on an application for the Ovi Store for US based Nokia devices. The Nokia 6301, 5610, 5310 and 7510 devices which are supported by T-Mobile USA. The application does not run on these devices (application displays an error at installation - error message before download actually starts: "Certificate not on phone or SIM") when using the Verisign signature.

Has anyone else come across this issue? or have an idea on a solution to address this signing issue? Please note that when the devices are signed by the carrier signature, the application downloads and works fine.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    M

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: US 'T-Mobile' Nokia Devices For Ovi Store - Signing Issue

I've moved this to the Java Secutity Forum

Super Contributor

T-Mobile US devices don't support the "trusted third party" security domain, so they don't recognize Verisign, Thawte and Java Verified signatures.

This applies only to T-Mobile US, and not to T-Mobile in Europe.

Your signed app should work fine on non-T-Mobilized versions of those handsets.

I don't know how Ovi deals with deployment to T-Mobile US customers, but they must either strip the signature or re-sign them.

I'm afraid the solution to your problem is either to sign the builds and submit them (even though they don't work on your handsets), or don't buy handsets from T-Mobile US.

Graham.

Super Contributor

stripping the signing for T-Mobile US phones does not really help if your MIDlet tries to use any restricted API (connect to net, read contacts, use BT, etc). All those things are disabled for unsiged apps as well. You need to get your application signed by T-Mobile US for distribution for T-Mobile US handsets.
    Unfortunately I am not familiar with OVI Store's connections/solutions with T-Mobile US on these matters.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Sure, but that's true of all apps from developers who don't know about T-Mobile US's unusual requirement.

To work on a T-Mobile US handset and fulfill the Ovi submission requirements, the app will need signing with two certificates (T-Mobile US, and Versign/Thawte/JV). I'm assuming that this will make it work on both, rather than break it on everything!

This really needs input from the Ovi team.

Graham.