Discussion Board

Qt for S60 vs symbian c++

hi,

I am really new into s60 apps development, as I am trying to look around at forum.nokia.com, there were a lot of information provide. I am looking to clarify some things. Is the Qt for S60 a new way of developing s60 apps rathen than the traditional way of using symbian c++? how is QT for s60 related to the S60 Xth library?

thanks,

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Qt for S60 vs symbian c++

Quote Originally Posted by james_027 View Post
    Is the Qt for S60 a new way of developing s60 apps rathen than the traditional way of using symbian c++?
    Qt is a crossplatform C++ GUI toolkit. It provides application developers with all the functionality needed to build applications with state-of-the-art graphical user interfaces. So you can say that it is new way of developing s60 apps rathen than the traditional way of using symbian c++ and JAVA.

Quote Originally Posted by savaj View Post
    Qt is a crossplatform C++ GUI toolkit. It provides application developers with all the functionality needed to build applications with state-of-the-art graphical user interfaces. So you can say that it is new way of developing s60 apps rathen than the traditional way of using symbian c++ and JAVA.
    for a newbie, is it right to say learning qt can make you a s60 app developer?

Nokia Developer Moderator

This is a nice but complex question

Currently Qt for S60 is in technology preview stage, not suitable for commercial applications. If you read Symbian Foundation's blogs however you can see that there are plans that in the future it will become more significant and there is talk of an entire Qt based UI framework for Symbian^4 release.

So the answer is yes, learning Qt is a good thing and eventually will make you an Symbian (or rather mobile) application developer as well as a PC developer. But until then, if you want to develop any commercial applications on the short/medium term you should pay more attention to Symbian C++ and S60's Avkon UI framework.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Very nice answer to a very nice question Lucian

I would add one more piece of advice. If you're looking to the future, or doing open source or hobby development with Qt to run on Symbian devices in the future then I'd recommend for the UI you focus on the new features for Qt 4.6. Kinetic - the animation framework stuff that uses Qt's Graphics View architecture (and QGraphicsWidgets) rather than the more traditional QWidget based stuff.

If you read the various design proposals at the Symbian Foundation you'll find that's the basis for the new UI framework and applications.

Mark

Thanks everyone, those answers satisfy me, I guess it's clear that qt is the future development platform for symbian s60 devices...

for short term, i guess i'll try pys60, as I am already familiar with python.