Discussion Board

Can i build an ocr application for S60 3rd edition onwards

I am working on S60 3rd edition FP1 for building an application that can read text books for blind.This would include an OCR for converting the image to a text file. I intend to use ABBYY mobile ocr engine SDK for OCR part of my application but I have come to know a serious flaw in S60 sdks that they do not support OCR engines.

Please visit :
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Pack_1_devices

The OCR applications run on the emulator but they fail on the target devices, even the OCRExample which comes with S60 3rd edition FP1. Could anyone please tell me that whether an OCR application can be build for S60 devices or not.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can i build an ocr application for S60 3rd edition onwards

That is referring to the S60 OCR engine that is currently missing from most devices. However, you are planning to use the ABBYY SDK so why do you care about S60's offering? Does the ABBYY have a dependency on it? I don't think so but if that's the case then find another 3rd party OCR engine which does not have this limitation.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Yes that's right, a flaw in the S60 Sdk should not affect my working on the Abby sdk.....but dont you think the flaw is in the S60 phone rather than the Sdk since the app seems to be running correctly for the S60 Sdk emulator.

If the Problem really is in the S60 Phones than is there something i can do???

Nokia Developer Moderator

What is there to do? The platform offers a functionality which only a hand full of devices implement. Sad but it happens. If there would be a way to solve this we would publish a patch for the other phones however that is not currently an option.

Anyhow, as ABBYY does not need that engine your ABBYY-based solution will work on all S60 devices that ABBYY supports. No limitations from S60 side.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite