Discussion Board

Question Avoid Canceling my J2ME program

Hello again, we want to make a survey. For this we made a j2me application which should be installed on several nokia mobiles which we want to give out to the participants. The problem is now that we don't want that they can close our program and use all the other functions of the mobile(like phoning etc.). So we changed the program this way that you need to type in a pin if you choose the "quit"-Button in the program. That works fine ... but if the participant simply presses the replace key (I mean the hang up key with the picture of an red telephone receiver) the program stops immediately (There are also 2 or 3 other keys like the photo key, ..).

What can I do that this never happens? Is it generally possible? If not, are there other devices which I could use?

Actually we use an 6210 Navigator ...

Thx a lot
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Signature ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YES, I've searched the web and this forum BUT I did not found anything ... maybe the problem is my small English ... so please be indulgent - thx

Super Contributor

Re: Avoid Canceling my J2ME program

It is not possible to do what you want. The MIDP environment is specifically designed to stop you from doing that. Your application should not be able to "take over" someone's phone.

Hmmm... you might be able to exploit a bug that exists at least on the Nokia 6600. If you displaying a Canvas, you can add something like:

Code:
    protected void hideNotify() {
        display.setCurrent(this);
    }
    This does not make it impossible to kill the application, but it will bring the application back to the foreground whenever it goes into the background. This will not work on all devices.

Again, there is no official way to do this.

Graham.

Re: Avoid Canceling my J2ME program

hmm, thats not very good ... nevertheless thanx for your (very fast) answer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Signature ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YES, I've searched the web and this forum BUT I did not found anything ... maybe the problem is my small English ... so please be indulgent - thx