Discussion Board

Carbide + Symbian help

Hello people. I am getting started with Carbide.c++ (v2.0) and Symbian programming. Could I please get a good tutorial on how to create an application, build it, and get it onto my phone ( Nokia E51 ). I also get a "BLDMAKE ERROR: Platform ARMV5 not supported by "\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\helloworld\group\BLD.INF"" error when I try to build the application with the "Phone release (ARMV5) [S60_3rd_FP1]" option.

Your help is appreciated

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide + Symbian help

try to build GCCE release not ARMV5

Super Contributor

The compiler RVCT/ARMV5 is not distributed free with SDK, if you want to use it then you have to purchase it. Anyway you can use GCCE compiler using Phone release (GCCE) [S60_3rd_FP1] options, it is distributed free with SDK.

Nokia Developer Moderator

And if you have a RVCT compiler, then to use it you will have to add that as supported platform in the bld.inf

Unhappy Re: Carbide + Symbian help

Ok i came to the conclusion myself, that i did not have the ARMV5 tool. Now, i am having some other problems.

What is the difference between S60_3rd_FP1 and S60_3rd_FP1_2? ( is it a more up-tp-date SDK? )

Why is my Emulator blank ( and then closes after a while ) when i try to debug a program?

Why does the Emulator never show when i try to run a program?

I have put a registration number into the emulator, and am able to start it from the start menu. I have also tried the _EPOC_DRIVE_D fix, and it has not worked. Somebody Please help me.

If you install the same SDK several times it will add a counter to the installation directory making it S60_3rd_FP1_[N].

Read this, it will help you to understand the emulator problem: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...arbide.c%2B%2B
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

where do i get those settings, since i missed the inital dialog?

You can open the configuration settings from the Run menu:

then in the configuration dialog change replace <application>.exe with epoc.exe if you want your emulator to be the process started.

Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Sorry to have been neglecting my thread, been a bit busy on other projects. I have changed the run configuration as Itomuta said. The emulator comes up now in both run and debug modes. However my app does not show. I go into the Installations folder, and it is not there. What am I supposed to do?

Also, I have built the same helloworld app as a self-signed sis file. I have gotten it to install on my phone, but it does not show in the Installations folder. What am I supposed to do to make it visible.

Thanx for all your help.

ismithx,
    I'm surprised you're not able to run the helloworld app in the emulator. Were you able to get rid of the build errors?

Is this the helloworld app that ships with the SDK? If so you should be able to see an icon in the applications folder which you can double-click and run. Which SDK are you using?
    --Himanshu
    Nokia N8-00 (Symbian Belle, NAM RM-596)
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (S60 5th Ed., NAM RM-428, v51.2.007)
    S/w: ADT v1.4 + S60 5.0 SDK on Win7 x64

Have you built a GUI app or a console based (OpenC) project? The later does not have an icon in the menu and thus cannot be started.

I suggest that you start with a GUI project and start leaning about the files it generates and how the application integrates itself in phone's shell. Then, if you need more advanced use cases (e.g .daemons) or you need to port existing code from other platforms then you should have a look at non-GUI apps as well.
    -- Lucian

I used a basic console application (EXE). Also, the examples included with carbide do not seem to want to compile ( they usually have a problem with a *.hrh.hlp and a KGeneral_Information being undeclared ).

Yes, the problem with building the help file should be fixed by now, you just have to update Carbide.c++ to version 2.0.2.025. Also, if you search or KGeneral_Information in this forum you will find indications about how to solve the problem yourself. If not, post here the console output and we will help you.

Start a new GUI project and build it then let's see where it goes from there. Btw, have to read yesterday's useful article from my signature?
    -- Lucian

Yes! it worked! Upgrading carbide did indeed fix the problem. The sis file installs on my phone, also, it runs in the emulator. Thanks to everybody who helped!