Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

WRTkit and touch screen devices

I am testing a WRTkit interface on a touch screen device.

2 problems are that the press event area over a given control is 100% width of the screen making it hard to scroll using my finger or thumb, without inadvertently selecting a control. Also the browser scroll bar does not appear for content overflowing the view port.

Does anyone know if WRTkit sets these values in CSS or using javascript?

Any advice on how I might dynamically set the width of the selection area of WRTkit controls to ~80% of the screen and also display the scroll bar, but only for 5th edition devices?

I am not so concerned about the code to set width and show scroll bar, but rather how I might do this dynamically in the context of WRTkit.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: WRTkit and touch screen devices

Hi hp3,

you could define the width of controls with the "width" CSS property (e.g.: width: 80%, by using the control CSS class, or the ID of each control you want to modify.

For the scrollbar, it should be enough to pass the scrollbar parent element as second argument, and "true" as third argument to the UIManager constructor. Otherwise, you can try by using the CSS "overflow" property with the "auto" value.

Hope this helps,
    Pit

Regular Contributor

thanks for your note. I will try these out.

What is the current practice for detecting v5 (touch screen) devices vs. v3 (key press)? I seem to recall something about checking for the device object...

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi hp3,

you probably refer to the approach described in this Forum Nokia Wiki article:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...n_a_WRT_widget

Pit