Discussion Board

Publishing J2ME to Ovi Store

Hi there,

just to clarify my issues:

we are planning to publish an application, which will be in several (42) versions. this is not because of localisation.

does that mean:

50$ Ovi Store entry
    500$ x 42 = 21000$ Verisign fee each year?

What does happen after one year?

Please Nokia, make it so transparent as Apple does. It is so easy to publish to AppStore.

Thank You very much.

Nicolas

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Publishing J2ME to Ovi Store

Hi Nicolas,

Great questions, here are some answers.

1) There is a one time registration fee to become a publisher for Ovi Store. It's 50 Euros (about $80 USD).

2) We require applications to be signed by the developer before being uploaded to our intake system. Signing is required in order to establish a quality baseline as well as prevent error messages to end users. The process for signing an app is two parts: first getting a publisher ID and then signing the app.

- publisher ID is required for Java, Symbian and Flash Lite apps. The cost is $200 USD; more info http://www.trustcenter.de/en/product...or_symbian.htm
    - signing costs will vary based on the type of app:
    -- Java (~ $200 USD) per app
    -- Symbian express ($20 USD) per app
    -- Symbian certified ($20 USD) per app
    -- Flash Lite apps for S60 devices adhere to Symbian signing requirements (above)

-- more info on Symbian Signing: https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page
    -- more info on Java Signing: http://javaverified.com/

3) You mentioned you had 42 versions of your app, can you provide more details? Usually an app will work on more than one device, like a family of devices so it may not be necessary to have 42 versions of your app.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Tank you very much!

I search by myself and found: http://59.145.143.45/relquti/pricing.asp

Java Verified is even more expensive than Verisign... ca. 150$ per device and app.

The app should be a kind of dictionary in 7 languages. translated in 7 languages. vice versa 42apps...

Currently I think the only way is to publish an demo application including a link to another site to download and buy the apps outside from OVI. Is this possible in OVI?

Java Verified: 200$ per Year + 150$ per device and app
    Verisign: 500$ per Year and app.

Why is C++ signing so cheap?

Reading the thread about java verified experiences seems to me a very long time to get an app published to OVI. Verisign says "several hours or workdays"...

best regards

njk

Regular Contributor

Yeah, my experience getting my game certified by JavaVerified and published on Ovi currently seems a bit like a never ending story. I will say however that my communication with the test-house was very good. They were very responsive, and willing to work around the issue with JavaVerified changing their system in the middle of the process.

Ovi has so far been another matter The game is still far from published even though it passed JavaVerified certification almost a month ago.

What I can say about OVI? The cost is too much. In order to publish an application, you spend too much money and time compare to Android Market. Forget it.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by drhu00 View Post
    What I can say about OVI? The cost is too much. In order to publish an application, you spend too much money and time compare to Android Market. Forget it.
    Nokia is aware of this misconception and is working on ways to make it easier for the smaller businesses and single developers to publish to Ovi.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Nokia is aware of this misconception and is working on ways to make it easier for the smaller businesses and single developers to publish to Ovi.

Ron
    Hi Ron,
    with all respect: is it really a misconception? It *does* appear to be expensive and time-consuming, from where I'm sitting, and what I've been trying to do.

I'll tell you what would help matters greatly: a document from Nokia which ties together all the options and paths to Ovi publishing, which covers important aspects like time and money involved. A goal-based docment which would help publishers make informed decisions (e.g. using Java Verified versus Verisign/Thawte etc). Obviously, money is variable depending on various factors, but the document could go some way to addressing this. Currently I feel like there are very important issues which the various documents just don't address.

Thanks!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by occular View Post
    I'll tell you what would help matters greatly: a document from Nokia which ties together all the options and paths to Ovi publishing, which covers important aspects like time and money involved. A goal-based docment which would help publishers make informed decisions (e.g. using Java Verified versus Verisign/Thawte etc). Obviously, money is variable depending on various factors, but the document could go some way to addressing this. Currently I feel like there are very important issues which the various documents just don't address.

Thanks!
    I'll leave the costs questions to other discussion board but can say Nokia is addressing the issues.

I agree with the above statement and will see if we can get these items into a Wiki article.

Ron