Discussion Board

Clarification on Shareware rules

Could I just confirm the rules for publishing Sharewsre/Trial/Demo versions ? A quote from the Terms is:

"All fees received by You for Content distributed via the Program must be processed by Nokia"

which I read as meaning that any future payment for registration codes had to go through the Ovi store as well. But I see that a number of the 'trial/demo' versions are actually pointing to their own sites for registration payments. The presently featured application 'WorldMate' is a good example.

So do I assume that any time-limited demo has to redirect back to the Ovi Store, but any program that is actually partially functional but needs a payment to get full functionality (Worldmate describe it as a 'Gold' version), do not need to use the Ovi Store to process payments but can use their own payment method ?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Clarification on Shareware rules

Quote Originally Posted by alanrichey View Post
    Could I just confirm the rules for publishing Sharewsre/Trial/Demo versions ? A quote from the Terms is:

"All fees received by You for Content distributed via the Program must be processed by Nokia"
    (Worldmate describe it as a 'Gold' version), do not need to use the Ovi Store to process payments but can use their own payment method ?
    The suppliers of WoldMate a "Premium" PLUS+ publisher this is because WorldMate has reached the status of being delivered on new Nokia phones,
    "the highest accolade" for many developers. under specific terms outside the Ovi T & C. Therefore Ovi was glad to have such a high status app on the store and set the Ovi T & C aside.

One person app failed QA because their app points to an external website.
    This is current position, at May 2009.

Thanks,
    Jim

Smile Re: Clarification on Shareware rules

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    The suppliers of WoldMate a "Premium" PLUS+ publisher this is because WorldMate has reached the status of being delivered on new Nokia phones, "the highest accolade" for many developers. under specific terms outside the Ovi T & C. Therefore Ovi was glad to have such a high status app on the store and set the Ovi T & C aside. One person app failed QA because their app points to an external website.
    This is current position, at May 2009.
    Thanks for that. Do you think the fact that my application has been distributed since 1994, through 6 different Symbian/Psion systems to over 20,000 registered users without any problems being reported will get the T&Cs set aside? (I won't hold my breath :-) )

Cheers

Al

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Al,

do you have a product manager, are you in the launchpad or FN Pro program? Do you have a distinctly unique product?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Al, do you have a product manager, are you in the launchpad or FN Pro program?
    Hi Ron

Nope, just a one-man band who started OPL programming on the Psion in 1994 and now offer 45 programs covering lots of platforms, including all Symbian S80 & S60 platforms. Four of these programs are available for S60, running under the StyleTap emulator and which up to a few weeks ago were selling quite well on the Nokia Supermarket (as well as many other distributors). But when the Supermarket was wrapped into Ovi Store the products were not transferred. as a 'hobbyist' programmer rather than a multi-national Company it appears that the Ovi Store is just not interested in my programs regardless of their pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Do you have a distinctly unique product?
    I think so. I have certainly seen nothing like RMRBank on the Ovi Store yet. Check out www.rmrsoft.com for full details of the S60/S80 programs.

Cheers

Al

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Clarification on Shareware rules

Quote Originally Posted by alanrichey View Post
    Hi Ron

Nope, just a one-man band who started OPL programming on the Psion in 1994 and now offer 45 programs covering lots of platforms, including all Symbian S80 & S60 platforms. Four of these programs are available for S60, running under the StyleTap emulator and which up to a few weeks ago were selling quite well on the Nokia Supermarket (as well as many other distributors). But when the Supermarket was wrapped into Ovi Store the products were not transferred. as a 'hobbyist' programmer rather than a multi-national Company it appears that the Ovi Store is just not interested in my programs regardless of their pedigree.

I think so. I have certainly seen nothing like RMRBank on the Ovi Store yet. Check out www.rmrsoft.com for full details of the S60/S80 programs.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al,
    I have downloaded your app to test the running. The only problem is that its self signed. You need a full signed version to stop errors and make easier for users to install. RMRBank does not request payment and no reference is made to your website www.rmrsoft.com. There is a PDF manual to support the app and in the readme.txt. You only request, not demand, payment.
    REGISTRATION
    ------------
    If you wish to register the program, the fee is £5/US$10/8 Euros.

The price on Ovi is set by you, the conversion from other currency is via a published table.

You have a email address which matches your website which you provide support. Your company has been vaildated by AMEX and other credit cards therefore you can get a Publisher ID from the Trust Centre.

Being in USA you can use your Social Security ID as your tax ID, which has been accepted before.

The icon is made by taking the rmbar.gif, from saving you webpage, cutting the edges off and making this into 256 x 256 company icon.

If you have been accepted on Nokia Supermarket then there does not seem any reason why the same app file would not be accepted by Ovi.

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-06-30 at 09:29.