Discussion Board

Red face "This application is not from a trusted supplier. Send text message to . . ."

Hi guys! Can you please help me with this.

I would like to prevent this message: "This application is not from a trusted supplier. Send text message to . . ." I assume if I make the MIDlet self-signed it would be possible of disabling the user intervention.

I tried to test my mobile application with a self-signed MIDlet using this thread from http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html.

I used S40 phones [Nokia 6300(Series 40 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2) and Nokia 7210 SuperNova(Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1)], I downloaded the .cer file from the server on the phone but Nokia 6300 got an error which is "Application corrupted" while on Nokia 7210 SuperNova it is successfully installed.

When I checked the installed java signing certificates on Nokia 7210 phone [http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_the_phones]

"Series 40 phones starting from 3rd Edition
    The root certificate list can be found at:
    * Menu » Settings » Security » Authority certificates » Certificate list
    How to see what the selected certificate can be used for?
    * Options » Select use » Application signing » Checked "<- this part is disabled. How come this part is disabled. What does it mean?

I continued the procedure on the thread.
    Then I downloaded the mobile application [jad file] on Nokia 7210 SuperNova but an error occurred "Certificate is not on phone or sim."

Can you please help me to troubleshoot.

how come "Certificate is not on phone or sim." Does it have any error message / configurations other than this? I don't know what went wrong.. I've been doing this for ages.

Is there any other way of permitting the secured API of a handset aside from Verisign?

Thank you in advance!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: "This application is not from a trusted supplier. Send text message to . . ."

u're advising me to sign my midlet on a third party vendor. so that means there's no other choice?

btw, another question...

when accessing the secured API, a user permission is requested. Does SecurityException catch the user input if he/she refused to continue 'accessing the file' or 'sending SMS text' with automatic information to the user for example 'Failed sending SMS text' and it stop the process, if i put it inside try/catch block?

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: "This application is not from a trusted supplier. Send text message to . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by eesbee View Post
    1.u're advising me to sign my midlet on a third party vendor. so that means there's no other choice?

btw, another question...

2.Does SecurityException catch the user input if he/she refused to continue 'accessing the file' or 'sending SMS text' with automatic information to the user for example 'Failed sending SMS text' and it stop the process, if i put it inside try/catch block?
    1.Yup,you have to sign the application from the third party domain,like the Thwate or Versign.In addition to that you would be surprise after reading the next lines.On the most of the devices even the signed Midlet,will ask for the security alert for the every request of the accessing of the secured domain.Some new S60 and S40 device can avoid these alerts.

2.Yup,Once a security alert is thrown,that is treated the dis-agreement of the permission for the current session of the application,and you must exit the application.There is no workaround for the same.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Re: "This application is not from a trusted supplier. Send text message to . . ."

thanks traud and raj..

i run the sample license mobile application which is HelloWorldMIDlet provided here at forum nokia, at first an error occurred "phone's date something".

i run the command,
    C:\WTK2.5.2_01\bin> java -jar jadtool.jar -showcert -all -inputjad "C:\HelloWorld.jad"

it shows the details of the certificate and found out its Valid from Wed Aug 29 2007 to Mon Sep 15 2008. the solution was to adjust the phone's date between its validity.

I already raise the certificate issue to my company. probably i have to wait for the certificate my company will provide..

More power!

cheers!