Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What all do I require to publish to Ovi store?

Hi all,

I am new to publishing to Ovi store. I have developed a simple game privately at home for Nokia 5800. I work for a software company.

I tried to register to publish to Ovi. But found that they require so many details like website,brand logo etc.

I don't have any website and I haven't developed this game for any company to have a brand logo.

So what should I do? Is it possible for me to publish to Ovi store? What all details do I need to furnish?

Please help

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Wink Re: What all do I require to publish to Ovi store?

Quote Originally Posted by vikvig View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to publishing to Ovi store. I have developed a simple game privately at home for Nokia 5800. I work for a software company.

I tried to register to publish to Ovi. But found that they require so many details like website,brand logo etc.

I don't have any website and I haven't developed this game for any company to have a brand logo.

So what should I do? Is it possible for me to publish to Ovi store? What all details do I need to furnish?

Please help

Thanks in advance
    Hi Welcome,
    You need a TAX ID for your country which would allow you to run a company commonly called Value Added Tax in many European countries.

Next you will need a website to support the product in the name of the company and you will need email address for that company then you will need a company logo.

Then you will need to spend 50 EURos by credit card,by you or the company, to join Ovi.

Then you will fill in ALL the parts described in the Publisher manual accessable when joined up.
    The application will need to be signed with a publisher ID which the Trust Centre charges $200 US Dollars year.
    Finally you can get your application, signed, thats 200 Euros. Then wait for this to pass QA.

All in all nearly $750 dollars spent, maybe add £200/300 euro setting up company and website. Possible cost $1000 dollars. You need to sell 300 copies at 3 euros to break even!,cover your costs

Serious investment. Have you considered you might have a conflict of interest with work/employer, if they find out?.

What about waiting till content/app aggregators come to market in a few months ie third parties which will promote and publish your application, for a cut.

Sit back and read the threads particular the Sticky ones at the top.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-06-28 at 17:29.

Re: What all do I require to publish to Ovi store?

> Finally you can get your application, signed, thats 200 Euros. Then wait for this to pass QA.

If a company publishes multiple apps, does it have to pay 200 Euros for each app to be published on Ovi Store?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Yes, you will need a website and an email address that preferably has the same domain as the email. This would be to show that this is an on ongoing business concern. A logo (256x256 jpeg image size) would be needed too.

Thank you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jwt8070 View Post
    > Finally you can get your application, signed, thats 200 Euros. Then wait for this to pass QA.

If a company publishes multiple apps, does it have to pay 200 Euros for each app to be published on Ovi Store?
    Symbian signed offers a lot cheaper options that 200 Euros, if I remember right Express signing is 20 Euros per application, anyway, do check symbian signed web site for uptodate information.

Super Contributor

200$ for the certificate.,

Then 20 or 200 Euros (Express signed or Cert Signed) per update / app

Or, gang up with someone (e.,g. me - tamhan at tamoggemon dot com) to handle distro for you!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

20 or 200 Euros per app per update can make publishing on Ovi Store quite expensive, especially one plans to introduce new features and do bug fixing, and so on. Does Nokia plan to reduce the cost of publishing on Ovi Store in the near future?

Nokia Developer Moderator

20 or 200 Euros per app per update can make publishing on Ovi Store quite expensive, especially one plans to introduce new features and do bug fixing, and so on. Does Nokia plan to reduce the cost of publishing on Ovi Store in the near future?
    that is actually symbian signing costs and not actually any Ovi store costs.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    that is actually symbian signing costs and not actually any Ovi store costs.
    The bottomline is that it adds to the cost of publishing to Ovi Store, correct?

Doesn't Nokia own Symbian or have a significant influence on Symbian pricing? If Ovi Store wants to compete with AppStore and Andriod Market for developer's mind share, then Nokia needs to address the cost issue of publishing to its OviStore.

Super Contributor

Yes, since a couple of years, Nokia owns Symbian completely, and pays for the Symbian Foundation running costs, including employee salaries, that Symbian Foundation membership fees do not cover (which I suspect does not amount to enough except a minor percentage of the total Symbian Foundation costs).

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Yes, since a couple of years, Nokia owns Symbian completely, and pays for the Symbian Foundation running costs, including employee salaries, that Symbian Foundation membership fees do not cover (which I suspect does not amount to enough except a minor percentage of the total Symbian Foundation costs).
    I really do not wish to argue with Petri, he is much more knowlegeable than I am. My understanding is Symbian does not do the Symbian Signing that is done by an independent 3rd party, neither Nokia nor Symbian derive any revenue from that. Symbian signed is a requirement of operators not the devices.

Finally Samsung and Motorola are also members of the Symbian Open Source consortium so Nokia does not own Symbian.org completely. I'm sure the plans are for Symbian to be independent and to make money selling the Symbian OS to Nokia and Samsung.

Ron
    Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2010-02-10 at 18:22. Reason: clarity

Super Contributor

As far as I know, Symbian Ltd, when it still existed (before Nokia acquired the rest of the shares from the other shareholders), gave or sold (I don't know which) the rights to a 3rd party company (service provider) to manage the Symbian Signed process on behalf of Symbian Ltd.

I suppose Symbian Ltd. did not make any money off the Symbian Signed process, but I should think that the 3rd party did to some degree. Otherwise what'd be their point in providing the service for Symbian Ltd, if they didn't earn something? I doubt that altruism is/was the motivator.

If I'm not mistaken, the 3rd party in question has or had founders and/or executives that used to be Symbian Ltd. employees.

I don't know what the situation is now with Symbian Foundation. I.e., I don't know if the original 3rd party still handles Symbian Signed, or whether Symbian Foundation has taken over it, or if there's a new party/organization/company doing it for Symbian Foundation.

As a mobile app developer, I care little about how Symbian.org operates behind the doors. When I compare publishing on AppStore, Andriod Market and OviStore, it is easy to see that OviStore is at signifincant disadvantage when compared to the other app store/market.

1) Inherant cost. On OviStore, developer has to deal with a large number of devices. This means multiple art designs, special codes to handle device specific issues, extra debugging, etc.

2) Publishing cost. Cost of symbian signing for each publication/update. This cost can add up quickly.

3) Low revenue share. On Ovi Store, developer gets *much less* than 70% of gross revenue. The first 15% is tax. Developer and Nokia split the remaining portion 70/30 IF it is a direct purchase. If a purchase is an operator billing (which I suspect accounts for a significant percent of all purchases, if not most), then the operator will get its share first before developer and Nokia split the remaining portion 70/30. In the latter case, developer gets about 35% of the gross sales.

My company became interested in publishing to Ovi Store after learning Nokia is offering free maps and navigation. After studying Ovi Store carefully, we have decided not to bother with it, at least for now.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Nokia is aware of your concerns and will take appropriate steps. Isn't competition wonderful?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Nokia is aware of your concerns and will take appropriate steps. Isn't competition wonderful?

Ron
    Thanks for understanding Developers Questions.

Virat Khutal