Discussion Board

Symbian C++ Map Tracking Application (pan and zoom the map + send and receive SMS)

Dear Developers,

I'm new to Symbian C++ programming, but I have good experiments of C#, ANSI C and a little J2ME.

Some months ago I have written a J2ME application for showing our city map (with method of loading png tiles) that user could pan and zoom it. Afterward, when I've wanted to add the feature of reading SMS messages from Inbox, I have understood that J2ME doesn't allow applications to listen and read Inbox messages! Because of this weakness of J2ME, I am on migrating to Symbian C++ these days.

By the way, I want to know is there any developer having useful experience or example source code in this fields:
    - An application code featuring pan and zoom of map tiles;
    - An application code featuring send and receive SMS messages.

Let's provide here useful knowledge about this type of application for anyone who needs help around (referring to the post title!).

Thanks friends,
    Iman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian C++ Map Tracking Application (pan and zoom the map + send and receive SMS

check the examples section for full SMS example project, also Wiki would have nice smaller examples available. For Maps there is no API ithat would be included in the SDK.

Re: Symbian C++ Map Tracking Application (pan and zoom the map + send and receive SMS

Thanks symbianyucca. Anybody else?

Jukka's answer is as complete as possible: look for examples on this site

If you search for "SMS location example" you will find a Forum Nokia example that does the location sending / receiving part. It was intended to do the map manipulation part too but we had to drop that feature since the required APIs have not been published.

However, there is an example in the Wiki which uses Google's Maps API to solve the maps rendering issue. Have a look there and search for "Google map c++" (or similar)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Dear Lucian,

Thanks for your good help about "SMS Location Example".

This is the direct link of that project:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...n_Example.html

Anybody else?!! about offline map manipulation?

As you cannot access Nokia Maps' data your only option for rendering a map offline is to get in touch with some map data provider (Navteq, Tele Atlas) and aquire a map data license that allows you to cache data locally. Then use whatever APIs they (or their partners) will provide you to get that data on the screen.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

No, I must use the city's map tiles that i have used them in my created j2ME application before. These map tiles were generated in four zoom levels from a large raster map image and for each zoom level a number of tiles are being loaded onto screen.

The MUST is for the fact that there isn't any street-level online map of our city on the web services like Navteq and others. So I must work with raster map images, and the best method is using tiles (the method which Google Map uses it).

Ok, then what's the problem. If you have the map tiles use them, online or offline it makes no diference. There are plenty of examples for image manipulation APIs on FN.com and in the wiki.
    -- Lucian