×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Post localization on SMS

    hi all, i want to develop an SMS application in my own language which is Amharic(Ethiopian language).. and i want help on how to start it.. and how to develop a keyboard mapper for it....any hint i will be happy

    best regards
    AbelK

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Capital of INDIA
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by abelk View Post
    hi all, i want to develop an SMS application in my own language which is Amharic(Ethiopian language).. and i want help on how to start it.. and how to develop a keyboard mapper for it....any hint i will be happy

    best regards
    AbelK
    Hi abelk,
    What SMS application you are talking about?
    What features you are looking for in this?

    please explain the requirement in much more details,
    Thanks with Regards,

    R a j - The K e r n e l


    Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

  3. #3
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: localization on SMS

    I guess that if the device doesnt have a localization for iet (i.e the correct (special) characters) that might be pretty difficult...
    You might try to create your own Font for it and start mapping the keys, and the corresponding characters from your Font...

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    104

    Thumbs up Re: localization on SMS

    Well u have to maintain the coordination between language use by ur application and the language used by ur device ie US english. Well u have to take canvas class and have to maintain ur own textbox in which if user suppose press 'A' then u have to draw some image corresponding to 'A' in Ethopian language. The only headache of urs is to maintain the textbox for Ethopian language else the other mechanism is same as we use to send sms in english language. Also take care that u have to use Bianary message for this not Textmessage as the data is image and also take care of length of message as the limit of binary message is 140..

    Hope this will make some sense for u.
    GudLuk..

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Smile Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    Hi abelk,
    What SMS application you are talking about?
    What features you are looking for in this?

    please explain the requirement in much more details,
    i am talking about the usual sms application sending and receiving messages but in this case i want the characters to be in my own language,also about its features ... when i press a key i want the character in my language not the English alphabet characters...in other word how to develop a keyboard mapper for it......by the way is it possible to send Unicode in sms b/c that's my language represented in....

    i hope this will explain it..... thanks for your help

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    I guess that if the device doesnt have a localization for iet (i.e the correct (special) characters) that might be pretty difficult...
    You might try to create your own Font for it and start mapping the keys, and the corresponding characters from your Font...
    yes my friend it din't have a special character for it, is there any hint that u know about developing a keyboard mapper for mobile phones....

    thanks.... Abelk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by sharvan1981 View Post
    Well u have to maintain the coordination between language use by ur application and the language used by ur device ie US english. Well u have to take canvas class and have to maintain ur own textbox in which if user suppose press 'A' then u have to draw some image corresponding to 'A' in Ethopian language. The only headache of urs is to maintain the textbox for Ethopian language else the other mechanism is same as we use to send sms in english language. Also take care that u have to use Bianary message for this not Textmessage as the data is image and also take care of length of message as the limit of binary message is 140..

    Hope this will make some sense for u.
    GudLuk..
    ya thats what i want to develop, but instead of binary data is it possible to use Unicode... or otherwise do u have any idea that how to map this key substitution with my language characters and how to draw this binary images.....

    thanks... AbelK

  8. #8
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: localization on SMS

    Your big problem is not the application on your phone, but displaying the message on the receiver's phone.

    Yes, you can send an SMS in Unicode. But if the font on the receiver's phone does not contain Amharic characters, then they will just see small squares (or whatever their phone displays for characters it doesn't know).

    One of the following must happen:

    1. You assume that the receiver's device can display the charaters you want.

    2. The receiver needs your application too, so they can display the message.

    3. You send a bitmap image... this will need a lot more data, and will make sending a message much more expensive. It also relies on device support.

    I think I'd go for option (2). In this case, you will need to send the messages to a specific "port" number, so that the receiving phone knows to direct the message to your application.

    Code:
    Connector.open("sms://" + phoneNumber + ":" + portNumber);
    You will need to read some SMS documentation/tutorials on how to receive SMS in a Java application. You cannot receive normal Inbox messages.

    Amharic is quite difficult to handle, because consonants and vowels pair together, with each glyph representing one consonant and one vowel as a pair. This means:

    1. For the font, you need around 400 characters
    2. Input is complicated, requiring at least two key-strokes per character (probably many more if using just a numeric keypad)

    So, this is a more complex problem than might be expected.

    Graham.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Your big problem is not the application on your phone, but displaying the message on the receiver's phone.

    Yes, you can send an SMS in Unicode. But if the font on the receiver's phone does not contain Amharic characters, then they will just see small squares (or whatever their phone displays for characters it doesn't know).

    One of the following must happen:

    1. You assume that the receiver's device can display the charaters you want.

    2. The receiver needs your application too, so they can display the message.

    3. You send a bitmap image... this will need a lot more data, and will make sending a message much more expensive. It also relies on device support.

    I think I'd go for option (2). In this case, you will need to send the messages to a specific "port" number, so that the receiving phone knows to direct the message to your application.

    Code:
    Connector.open("sms://" + phoneNumber + ":" + portNumber);
    You will need to read some SMS documentation/tutorials on how to receive SMS in a Java application. You cannot receive normal Inbox messages.

    Amharic is quite difficult to handle, because consonants and vowels pair together, with each glyph representing one consonant and one vowel as a pair. This means:

    1. For the font, you need around 400 characters
    2. Input is complicated, requiring at least two key-strokes per character (probably many more if using just a numeric keypad)

    So, this is a more complex problem than might be expected.

    Graham.
    yes graham i think option no. 2 is better if a Unicode is possible .... and the code is a little confusing can u explain it more(is it for sending or receiving) ,....... another big problem is how can i tell to the phone when i press a key to display my language Unicode characters in the text editor instead of displaying English letters ....i know Amharic language is a bit complex for developing a keyboard mappers ..... is there any thing u know about how can i achieve a keyboard mapper for it.... and also can u guide me on where to get the SMS documentation/tutorials......

    thanks Abelk
    Last edited by abelk; 2009-07-02 at 11:14.

  10. #10
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: localization on SMS

    For sending and receiving SMS, you should read the documentation in the SDK. Look for "Wireless Messaging API", "WMA" or "JSR-120" (they are all the same thing).

    If your device does not display Amharic text (if its font does not have those characters), then you will need to supply an image of each character, and some code to process a String and draw the right image for each character. Search the forum for "custom font".

    I have no idea what an appropriate keyboard mapping would be. I've never developed software in that language.

    Graham.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9

    Re: localization on SMS

    Assume that all of my devices support Unicode. But these devices do not support all keyboard languages. It means you can read every Unicode character on your device but you cannot write in any language by predefined keyboards. Is it possible to write a key mapper for these devices?

  12. #12
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: localization on SMS

    All Java devices "support unicode", but that does not mean they will display all unicode characters.

    For this, you'd need to build your own text input component, either using a CustomItem (to add to a Form), or a Canvas. A Canvas would also enable you to provide an on-screen keyboard for touch-screen devices.

    Graham.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    All Java devices "support unicode", but that does not mean they will display all unicode characters.

    For this, you'd need to build your own text input component, either using a CustomItem (to add to a Form), or a Canvas. A Canvas would also enable you to provide an on-screen keyboard for touch-screen devices.

    Graham.
    Thanks a lot. Could you give me a sample or some references about writing custom text input component or custom Item?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by breceivemail View Post
    Thanks a lot. Could you give me a sample or some references about writing custom text input component or custom Item?
    hi to all members, i have developed a software to send sms using amharic character on java mobiles that support unicode like 3110,5300, most s40 phones u can contact me on the following address +25191602629.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: localization on SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by abelk View Post
    ya thats what i want to develop, but instead of binary data is it possible to use Unicode... or otherwise do u have any idea that how to map this key substitution with my language characters and how to draw this binary images.....

    thanks... AbelK
    contact me i will tell how to map the characters. try this http://www.mobango.com/swarea/index....nder&listNum=3.

Similar Threads

  1. problem sending CONCATENATED SMS
    By habier in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-07-11, 11:00
  2. Send SMS Problem. Cannot Get SMSC Address. Due to Strange SIM Card?
    By cksong in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2007-07-02, 16:13
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-12-01, 23:57
  4. Setting up SMS development environment
    By alecswan in forum Symbian Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2005-02-02, 18:28
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2002-10-02, 07:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •