Discussion Board

how to create a project with TARGETTYPE app?

I am very beginner to Symbian and Carbide. I have a project (downloaded from net) whose mmp file has "TARGETTYPE app" , but I could not import it, then I tried to create a new project and add the sources of the project later. To do this, I tried to create a project whose TARGETYPE is app, I tried many of the options in File->New->Symbian OS C++ Project and File->New->Project menu of carbide, but many of them come with TARGETTYPE exe, dll or other. I examined the default examples of Carbide, but none have TARGETTYPE as app. Also, I tried to ignore first, and create an empty project and change it later from exe to app manually, but this does not work either. I wonder is there any way to create such a project?? Any help pls??

Vista
    ActivePerl-5.6.1.635-MSWin32-x86
    S60_3rd_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_2_v1_1
    s60_open_c_cpp_plug_ins_v1_0_en
    Carbide.c++_v2.0

Thanks...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to create a project with TARGETTYPE app?

Quote Originally Posted by zhr_cs View Post
    I am very beginner to Symbian and Carbide. I have a project (downloaded from net) whose mmp file has "TARGETTYPE app" , but I could not import it, then I tried to create a new project and add the sources of the project later. To do this, I tried to create a project whose TARGETYPE is app, I tried many of the options in File->New->Symbian OS C++ Project and File->New->Project menu of carbide, but many of them come with TARGETTYPE exe, dll or other. I examined the default examples of Carbide, but none have TARGETTYPE as app. Also, I tried to ignore first, and create an empty project and change it later from exe to app manually, but this does not work either. I wonder is there any way to create such a project?? Any help pls??

Vista
    ActivePerl-5.6.1.635-MSWin32-x86
    S60_3rd_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_2_v1_1
    s60_open_c_cpp_plug_ins_v1_0_en
    Carbide.c++_v2.0

Thanks...
    Project type app is a 2nd edition application sources. In 3rd ed, the type is exe!

Please note that you might not find the wizard templates in carbide 2.0 to create new applications in 2nd ed by default. Hacks can be done, but as a beginner, its advisable that you use Carbide.c++ 1.2 if/when developing in the 2nd edition.

"TARGETTYPE app" is for Symbian 6-7-8, or S60 1st and 2nd editions. Starting from Symbian 9 (S60 3rd edition) applications are .exe-s.
    If you want to check that application on S60 3rd edition, you can find porting guide, head towards Tools, Docs & Code above, then Documentation, Symbian C++, Compatibility.

Thanks so much, I've one more question:
    If I create a new project and put the source and header files of the project created in 2.nd edition SDK into my new project, does that work?? I ask this as I saw in the projects' source files there are files like projectnameApp.cpp, projectnameAppUi.cpp, projectnameContainer.cpp and so on... and I wonder whether these are automatically came from 2.nd edition SDK?

Thankss...
    Last edited by zhr_cs; 2009-06-30 at 11:56.

You can try that, but such attempt still involves some modifications, that is why you should really check that porting guide.
    The essential part is not that hard:
    - UID has to be modified from typically 0x01234567 to 0xE1234567 (8 hexadecimal digits, where the first one is E) as a first try - it appears in the .mmp file and it is returned by a method called AppDllUid, part of the App(lication) class
    - TARGETPATH of the resource file is changed, and the syntax for referencing it in the .mmp file is also changed - if you generate a new project, this part will be fine
    - a new xy_reg.rss resource has to be created - it is also done if you generate a new project, just do not forget replacing the UID3 in it to the new 0xE... one
    - entry point of the application is also varied a bit - .app-s had E32Dll, .exe-s have E32Main - for this one you can also rely on a new generated project
    - .pkg file is rather different, check documentation and porting guide - a generated project can help in this case too, however if the original project has some extra data files, you have to take care about them. Note that the .pkg file is not required for testing with the emulator, so focus on the other things first

After all, yes, it is possible to do, but check the documentation - especially if you have extra data files (like graphics/sound files in case of a game).

Thanks wizard_hu_, I tried what u sad, and started to get some errors, but I learned that( again from Forum Nokia ) these errors are because they are not supported in 3rd edition SDK, I will search now for how to make compatible the codes giving error. Thanks again..