Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Location API is not working

Hello

I need to find latitude and longtitude and print out it on the screen. I wrote my code without any problem( I hope so) and I added jar to my telephone which has bluetooth device. Unfortunately , it gave me this error : No Class Def Found. Error: java/lang/NoClassDefFoundException/javax/microedition/location/LocationException.

Netbeans has its own JSR 179 added in the project. Because , when I was creating the project I have seen JSR 179 added on the project and I tried it on three mobile phones which have GPRS functionality. Do you think I shoud add JSR 179 jar seperately or the problem might come out with my code? Thank you so much from now, I need to fix this problem today.

Regards
    Altayli

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Location API is not working

that wouldn't be the solution to your problem...
    unfortunately no JSR's can be added on your phone aftermarket...
    so if your phone doesn't have a particular JSR from the factory you can't add it later on, or maybe Nokia could by supplying a OS flash but not as a "normal" developer...
    the JSR's you can include in your IDE are there so that the IDE can duplicate existing phones (who do have those JSR's) so that you are able to develop for them. The JSR's arent available in a IDE so that you can install them on a device, wouldn't make any sense btw because JSR's are API's that supply a layer of functionality to the hardware for the developer, so if the hardware ain't there (GPS chip) then the correct working of a JSR cannot be guaranteed... at all...

Regular Contributor

Hello Tiger

It means the only thing to do is to find a telephone which supports the JSR 179 or the Location API and how I can understand that everything is ok? I should send an email to Nokia and understand that which telephones do support JSR 179 or the Location API. Could you please tell me a telephone which supports JSR 179 then I can understand if everything is ok with my code.. Thank you so much.

Best Regards
    Altayli

Nokia Developer Champion

yup you need to use a phone that implements the JSR179..
    no need to send email or whatever, just select in the menu above (the green one) the third entry (devices).. afterwards select advanced device search and in there you can set which API's for examle should (or should not) be available in the devices you're looking for...
    good luck ! this is a great opportunity for you to learn how to use some of the tools you have here on the Forum

Regular Contributor

Hello Tiger

you think the only and most logical and most used way to take coordinates is using JSR179? It is the one which most of the people use nowadays? Thank you so much

Best Regards
    Altayli

Nokia Developer Champion

well if it's GPS coordinates you want (as in latitude and longitude) then yes you could use the Location API...
    Another option, which makes it possible to support a lot more device who don't have the Location API's, is to use the Bluetooth API instead and set up a data-exchange between a mobile device and an external BlueTooth GPS receiver...
    For that you should get int othe JSR-82 (Bluetooth API) and see how you do a discovery for bluetooth devices plus services and how you can "read-out" a Bluetooth GPS receiver...
    Afaik there are several examples on the net and even some in the wiki...