Discussion Board

Does N97 Support OpenGL ES?

Hello,

Im doing Augmented Reality in Mobile phone(Symbian based)for my project. at now im using Nokia N95 8GB for this project.Now my boss(also me) wants implemets Augmented Reality in Nokia N97 (big Screen and looking attractive).But im not sure abt N97 whether it will be good for drwaing object using OpenGL ES or not..because in specification, there is no 3d hardware accelarator built in N97.where n95 has 3d Haradare acclarator.

So i want to get suggestion from expert graphics people abt N97 is still good for openGL ES drawing absence of 3D Hardware Accelarator and also should i go N97 for AR developement as AR has need OpenGL ES?

plz suggest me....
    Thanks
    Rassall

Re: Does N97 Support OpenGL ES?

USING THE SPECIAL N97 SDK YOU CAN COMPILE FOR THE N97.

Using opengl-es will work fine, make sure you disable lighting (as for AR i assume you do).

You will see a major performance drop when using the window surface because the resolution for the n97 i way higher than the n95.

I am also looking for solutions to render to a lower resolution than the screen actually is, but still clamp it to the edges with not much performance loss. Maybe render to texture-> render quad to window will work.

greetz,

Ben

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nofxonline View Post
    You will see a major performance drop when using the window surface because the resolution for the n97 i way higher than the n95.
    Resolution is higher *AND* the N97 lacks hardware acceleration for OpenGL ES (which the N95 has).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nofxonline View Post
    USING THE SPECIAL N97 SDK YOU CAN COMPILE FOR THE N97.
    You need no special SDK unless you plan to use some N97 specific feature such as the homescreen widget. The S60 5th Edition SDK is otherwise perfect for N97 and all the other 5th edition devices.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Does that 5th edition SDK cover the accelerometer that is needed for the AR to work?

The accelerometer can give information about the level plane, and thus provide info for objects that are not rectangular, or when the AR transforms the shape incorrectly. It could provide a plane definition for the AR to be able to calculate the relation between the camera and the ground etc.

Sincerely,

Ben

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes, most if not all S60 5th Edition devices have sensors and they can be accessed through the S60 Sensor Framework introduced in the S60 5th Edition SDK and backported for S60 3rd Edition FP2 devices.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite