Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] Again... Signing on the fly

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to sign on the fly (because some files change for every user) my app for commercial use, and it seems to be impossible, as every sis file (commercial)must be signed, and each time I sign it, a cost is between.

That's why I'd like to know if there's a way to sign on the fly without paying each time a sis file is signed (obviously, a payment must be done).

I've tried to contact the symbian staff trough the contact form, but I haven't received an answer.

If more information about my project is needed, I'm gladly give it.

Please, if anyone knows a phone, email, or something that could lead me to the symbian staff, I beg you, tell me.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: [moved] Again... Signing on the fly

Symbian sign the main sis file and then create another outer wrapper sis file which has the main symbian application and the extra files and self sign that sis file
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Nokia Developer Moderator

See http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat...e_requirements, that could be a route to follow.
    I could not find your question at http://developer.symbian.org/forum , maybe that's why you have not received an answer.

Update: Found the post. But at http://developer.symbian.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=2241 you seem to accept the rather trivial solution of re-packing the certified app and the delta content in a self-signed sis. Not a good solution for Ovi Store though.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-07-09 at 21:44.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

You're right Itomuta, but as you said, that's not a good solution.

That's why I'm asking for a better solution, or, maybe a workaround to achieve the goal.

Become a test house then...

Regular Contributor

wizard_hu_ is just being very helpful end empathetic as usual.

How do you plan to distribute the application? If you can afford sending the d/l URL in SMS then you can solve the issue. That's what I'm doing for an application right know. You include a user specific identifier in the D/L url but ignore it on the server. Then the installed application can look at the SMS inbox parse the url and use the id to fetch the settings from the server. If not sending the link over SMS then just show the user an activation code on the download page and ask them to type it in your application when it asks for it on the first launch. There aren't really any other ways around. In the java world you could use the JAD file for this very purpose, but the symbian guys were much smarter .

Regular Contributor

You're right Atleta, Wizard_hu_'s answers are awesome! He's a good guy (really, your posts in the forum have helped me a lot in the symbian path).

Anyway, looking in this link, I've found that to become a Symbian Self Certifier there are a lot of steps to do, and a 10,000/year fee (the client wasn't too happy with that), so, I think that we will use another alternative.

The application is intended to be distributed via wap. An SMS will be send to the user, providing him the link to the wap, allowing him to register. Once he hits the submit button, a midlet is compiled on the fly with the user id. Now, here comes the good part.

If the device is S60 3ed compatible, the sis file must be downloaded along with the midlet, I mean, all in one step, downloading one first and the another one later isn't allowed (Why? I don't know, ask it to the client). That's why I need to sign my app, every time a user is registered, a new sis file is created for that user. Continuing, the symbian app (once installed) is capable of install the midlet, so the user just see 1 download, but installs 2 apps.

The midlet is installed by the symbian app because there's no way to do it in inverse order.

I hope this could help a little more.

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, it seems that Self Certification does not exist anymore. That page from Forum Nokia as well as some on Symbian Foundation side need some cleanup.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Any way we still get billed at $XX.00 per signing event even with self certification so that's not really an option.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

Anyway, looking in this link, I've found that to become a Symbian Self Certifier there are a lot of steps to do, and a 10,000/year fee (the client wasn't too happy with that), so, I think that we will use another alternative.
    Obviously, that was just a sarcastic response, so was mine.

The application is intended to be distributed via wap. An SMS will be send to the user, providing him the link to the wap, allowing him to register. Once he hits the submit button, a midlet is compiled on the fly with the user id. Now, here comes the good part.
    You don't have to compile the MIDlet just to unclude a user id, as I mentioned in my previous post. You can just dinamically add the property to the JAD file and then read it using MIDlet.getAppProperty. I have an application that works exactly like this.

If the device is S60 3ed compatible, the sis file must be downloaded along with the midlet, I mean, all in one step, downloading one first and the another one later isn't allowed (Why? I don't know, ask it to the client). That's why I need to sign my app, every time a user is registered,
    Forget it, it's not a workable solution due to the overly strict Symbian regulations. Since you install using SMS you can use the method I described in mey previous post. I'm working on an application thar we're going to deploy exactly that way. The user will request the application after logging in a web site and that's how we're going to pass the credentials on to the Symbian application. (This is the Symbian version of the java application I mentioned above.)

So as far as I can see given your constraints you can do either of the following:
    1. Encode the user id (or whatever id you need) into the download url, but ignore it on the server. Package the midlet in the SIS file and download them at once, then trigger installation of the midlet. When the user starts the application for the first time. I tried it and it works. In this case get the user id by looking into the SMS inbox containing the d/l URL.
    2. Do the same with the d/l url as above, but instead of packaging the midlet in the SIS file download it from the installed application the first time the user starts it. Since you know the user id (from the SMS inbox) you can include it in the midlet d/l request and from that point on you can use the same technique as you do with the normal midlet download. This can be sold as 'downloading at once' since the user does not have to click twice, it all happens automagically.
    3. Download the midlet first even if it's an S60 phone then on the first start of the midlet download and istall the SIS file using MIDlet.platformRequest. Then if the symbian app still needs the user id it can ask the midlet (I guess the two will cooperate anyway).

The midlet is installed by the symbian app because there's no way to do it in inverse order.
    platformRequest allows you to do this by invoking the browser which will handle the downloaded file according to its MIME type. I've done this with MIDlets (a midlet downloading another MIDlet) and it works fine.