Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Why charge 50 Euros

Hi Guys,
    I just looked at publish to ovi again - and saw that new registrations now cost 50 Euros a piece.

May I ask why?

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Why charge 50 Euros

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I just looked at publish to ovi again - and saw that new registrations now cost 50 Euros a piece.

May I ask why?

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    I think this token amount is to keep out those that would upload viruses and other malware and verify they are real businesses or people.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    I think this token amount is to keep out those that would upload viruses and other malware and verify they are real businesses or people.

Ron
    No Ron, the real reason is to keep out the last remaining developers that think publishing applications on Ovi Store will pay back somehow. It is a shame that Nokia still doesn't understand that milking developers isn't a good strategy.

Cheers,
    Lev

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

The fee is a barrier to entry for companies/people that are not legitimate publishers.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan2040 View Post
    No Ron, the real reason is to keep out the last remaining developers that think publishing applications on Ovi Store will pay back somehow. It is a shame that Nokia still doesn't understand that milking developers isn't a good strategy.

Cheers,
    Lev
    You can't be more wrong, at no time since I have been in Nokia and as far as I have heard ever, has Nokia been so supportive, as open, so eager to help small and medium developers and has valued their contributions. They've opend up the software, they've created the Ovi store and are having boot camps and online training and all for the small developer. You can't even buy a good Futbol (soccer ball) for 50 Euros.

Ron

You can't be more wrong, at no time since I have been in Nokia and as far as I have heard ever, has Nokia been so supportive, as open, so eager to help small and medium developers and has valued their contributions. They've opend up the software, they've created the Ovi store and are having boot camps and online training and all for the small developer. You can't even buy a good Futbol (soccer ball) for 50 Euros.

Ron
    Ron I'm happy that it worked, at least for you.

I joined them in 2003, being one of the first on Nokia Forum Pro initiative (for 4000 euros I got a few brochures, a 40$ book, an already outdated 7610 and a "huge" 32M Memory stick, Nokia branded of course), bought every single N and E series at full price (and all the other models that didn't start with a letter) because nobody could understand why applications written for the same Edition and same Service Pack, but different model, may work on some and not at all in others. I did 10 TPO with Nokia, each one looked like a "big favor" from them, for which I could not charge anything, in fact I had to cover even additional expenses and double sign the applications (Symbian Signing and Nokia Signing, another freaking nightmare) and I had to modify look, operation and feel of my applications according to what Nokia had to say, with the additional irony that the first two dialogs to be displayed and agreed by users should make clear that Nokia has nothing to do with that. Of course this was valid only for a particular country, if, for example, I wanted to be included in the TPO of another country I had to start the process again and re-sign everything (beside the fact that nobody could apply for as it was "by invitation" only). Talking about signing, I was never been able to understand why an application that was perfectly ok 2 weeks before, would fail only according to newly changed criteria that added nothing to the quality of the application and only made developer to shell out other $$$$ to get the app signed. What is the point of signing when Nokia for more than 3 years has been unable to check if an application was actually leaking memory (the test 09 has been waived since the beginning and then eventually scrapped from signing criteria)

And you guys are wondering why developing for iPhone is getting so popular? ( the scene of Nokians trying to drag-in participants at WWDC to encourage them to develop for S60 was really embarrassing)

Nokia has always been uninterested in developers, their core business has always been shifting phones, they never promoted their S60 as devices where other application (beside the default ones) can be installed. Primitive tools, poor documentation, unclear path to basically everything. Ovi Store is their 4th attempt to do an application store (Preminet and others didn't even see the light) and still the execution of the Ovi Store is something to cry over. Sorry but after 6 years, they have lost my faith (and that of many others apparently...)

Cheers,
    Lev

You proved my point. None of pain and disrespect and high costs you described 6 years ago is true anymore.

FWIW I worked with Macintosh developers for 15 years and still have about a dozen Inside Macintosh books on my shelf. I remember Apple doing all the same bad things too. And yes I'm still a registered Apple developer.

I grant you Apple has a good system, but we will be better. There is nothing like competition to improve the product and services.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Ron
    Firstly, wherever you shop for soccer balls, you're getting ripped off.

Secondly, surely the rather significant expense of getting applications signed and paying for a publisher ID is significant enough of a barrier to prevent unscrupulous individuals from posting malicious content on the Ovi Store.

I think everybody (both developers and Nokia) wants the Ovi Store to be a success, but there seem to be a few puzzling decisions being made by the people in charge. All that was needed was an absolute carbon copy of the iTunes app store and I'm sure Nokia would even exceed the success that Apple has achieved in a year or two. It's a model that has been proven, why fix what isn't broken???

Quote Originally Posted by Larry101 View Post
    Firstly, wherever you shop for soccer balls, you're getting ripped off.

Secondly, surely the rather significant expense of getting applications signed and paying for a publisher ID is significant enough of a barrier to prevent unscrupulous individuals from posting malicious content on the Ovi Store.

I think everybody (both developers and Nokia) wants the Ovi Store to be a success, but there seem to be a few puzzling decisions being made by the people in charge. All that was needed was an absolute carbon copy of the iTunes app store and I'm sure Nokia would even exceed the success that Apple has achieved in a year or two. It's a model that has been proven, why fix what isn't broken???
    We do agree the App store after a two years is in better shape than Ovi Store after 6 weeks.

I am not trying to argue with you, but I think I we need a fair balance here to some FUD (not necessarily your post).

Go to soccer.com and there are cheap balls but the quality balls are $100+
    Signing has nothing to do with Nokia and even if it did not all content has to be signed
    App store costs $99 to register
    Apple did not allow independent developers to be in the store initially.

Ron

Regular Contributor

I guess our definition of a quality soccer ball differs . My apologies for being a little melodramatic. I must confess I didn't know about the $99 fee on the Apple store. I'm sick of hearing about how wonderful it is from the Apple fan boys around here. I hope the kinks get ironed out soon.

Post Re: Why charge 50 Euros

Hi Ron,

I can tell you that you are really really wrong , first of all seem that okia want to sell soccer balls and i don't think so but most important is that you are trying to compare (this is always the problem that effect Nokia Poeple and italian politics ah ah ah ah (I'm from Italy) is that they are always argue that you can do better than Apple but why ? I mean Nokia is on the market with stores since ages , i was the first developer for Italy for Symbian in 2002, member of the board and after ages Nokias still don't admit their problems, this OVI store is a joke .... sorry to be rude but i don't ike to be hide behind a finger, I'm a symbian fans since the creation of 7650 but are you really thinking that developers are so dummy to make applications opened (without registration) without any control on your side for protection ? Did you ased why Nokia blame that they have trillions of symbian device but when we talk about selling sofware you don't like to speak about numbers ? maybe it is because this number are 0.000001 % of the total mobile symbian phones sold .... and yo uknow why ? well it is simple ... people copy it , spread it for free .... at least Apple have a sort of way that the user cannot install application coming from their appstore ... did you try to set the useragent of firefox / safari as mobile and get 7 buy an apps on OVI Store they just send you the SIS file ready to be spreaded all over the world. I don't think this is fair, please stop talking about money or about people who don't like to pay 50 Euros... i ill be mor ethan happy to pay 50 Euros if Nokia can assure that protect my interests (and not only their interest) to sell applications.
    Before Ovi there were thousand software and several devices ... now there are thousand device and serveral software ou know why ? Developer are tired to listed always the same disc playing by Nokia people.
    I make an experiment , i publish the same title for S60 and Apple ... so if you really believe the potentiality of OVI store I can tell you results .... in OVI store we sold 37 euro this application in one month, the same application we sell on Appstore and we get 1000 euro in one week... and if yo ucompare the number of device that nokia have to Apple this number make you ridiculus.
    Last but not least i really not appreciate that you want to compare OVI with app store , i believe that you are Number 1 in the world in this field, that measn the best of the best, so why you are still trying to compare with a company (apple) that have only 3 models , this is the first time that you don't think with your brain and see what's the other are doing maybe this is your fault.
    If you really want to make OVI store a winning store you should aybe follow what developers have to say and especially protect them to be ripped off.
    So to summarize OVI store is a very nice joke , your effort to put an app store for he 4th time was not really good and honestly this shocked the world (i do third party development and it is the first time that i ear companies who says not I'm not interested in OVI Store/nokia let's start with Iphone) and i really hate when they say that but I have to admit that in a pure marketing point of view they are really really true.

Thanks Roberto

PS. I'm semi pro football player and sponsor give me balls for free to sponsor it , i think you should consider to sponsor good developer instead to ripped off their money.
    Last edited by RobyOne; 2009-07-18 at 00:28.

Don't care about 50 euros. It could be only a trap. Before pay, check my story. http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=173411

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi Guys,

May I ask why?

All the best
    Tam Hanna