Discussion Board

E71 bluetooth SPP and Carbide.C++

hello,

I'm new here and beginner, but need to develop an application to run on a E71 able to communicate with an embedded system which uses a bluetooth module with SPP profile (For the moment I have an windowsXP application running on a PC to configure the system, but I would like to provide the customers with only a mobile phone application since most of the time the equipments are outdoor and working with a computer is not fine).
    - The first question is: will it be possible to use a symbian API on this phone working properly with SPP profile, since at that time the phone is not able to provide the standard SPP profile when connecting to a bluetooth device on a windowsXP PC.
    - The second question is : is it the best choice to use Carbide.C++ with the S60_3rd_FP1 sdk ?
    - and finally : where is there a good tutorial the closest to my configuration ? (carbide, E71 target) building at least a 'hello world' application
    - optionnally I'm be very interested in a good way of debugging such applications. I didn't found any emulator for the E71, and even for debugging bluetooth communications I'm not sure that an emulator will be helpful

thanks in advance
    Jean-Luc

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: E71 bluetooth SPP and Carbide.C++

Hi Jean-Luc,

a) Yes, you can use SPP and we should have an example to get you started: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...t_Example.html
    b) Carbide.c++ is not only the best choice, it's the only choice. Carbide.c++ is currently the only supported IDE for the native Symbian C++ SDKs.
    c) There are plenty of tutorials and documents on this site, See the "Learning & Events" tab above as well as the "Tools, Docs and Code". See the links in my signature as well.
    d) Yes, Carbide.c++ provided On Device Debugging (ODD) support.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Lucian,
    thank you for these informations.
    I'll give a look at these links and will send a feedback, or other questions before, as soon as it will be working.
    I know that I'll have time to spend before having a carbide configuration ready to produce a file for the target, maybe it could take several days.
    Jean-Luc

It should not take you more than one hour to have all these tools installed and configured. If you are using Vista make sure to read my blog, it would help you bypass some problems.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ok. thanks.
    I'm not using Vista but XP. no problem for the moment.
    I have succeeded in installing most of the tools : I have made a helloworld application and the bluetooth sample run on the phone.
    however, I have not search a lot yet, but the installation on the E71 says that there is a signature problem, even if installing the .sisx or a selfs.sis (for bluetooth sample) application with a self made certificate. I must configure the phone parameter to install all and not only signed application for it to work. is there something special to do in the make process ?
    here is the make result :
    Code:
    ***Invoking makesis.exe ....
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\tools\makesis.exe C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\build\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\group\_resolvedHelloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.pkg C:\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\sis\Helloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis 
    Processing C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\build\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\group\_resolvedHelloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.pkg...
    Created C:\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\sis\Helloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis

...No key/cert defined. Generating dummy key/cert for self-signing (key-gen.key/cert-gen.cer)...
    No passphrase defined. Using: "DefaultPassword"

***Invoking makekeys....
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\tools\makekeys.exe -cert -password DefaultPassword -len 2048 -dname "CN=JoeBloggs OR=Acme" key-gen.key cert-gen.cer 
    Using existing private key key-gen.key
    Created certificate cert-gen.cer

***Invoking signsis.exe....
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\tools\signsis.exe -s C:\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\sis\Helloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis C:\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\sis\Helloworld_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sisx C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\build\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\group\cert-gen.cer C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\build\CarbideProjects\Helloworld\group\key-gen.key DefaultPassword 

***SIS Creation Complete
    But I have not read all the documentation.... and maybe the answer is in the forum but I didn't found anything yet.
    Jean-Luc

Sice you say that you are able to run the sample app on the phone can you please clarify thether it is just a warning message that you see and if so, what is the exact error message?

See also http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...install_errors
    -- Lucian

first try, application manager 'software installation' parameter is set to 'signed only' :
    when I try to install a .sis or a .sisx file, I get the message (in french):
    erreur de certificat, contactez le fournisseur de l'application
    I guess that it corresponds to
    "Certificate check failed. Contact application supplier."
    and the application does not install.
    if I set the parameter to 'all', then only the .sisx (or selfs.sis for the bluetooth dmo) file can be installed, with a warning saying that it is not safe.
    the .sis file gives the same message.
    If I read the corresponding topic I can see:
    * Installation package is not signed. it is self signed
    * Certificate has extended key usage (EKU) extension that doesn't have CodeSigning usage.
    * Signature cannot be validated.
    * If SWI root certificate database has mandatory certificate(s), then signing certificate of installation package is not trust chained to mandatory root(s).
    * If security policy requires certain extension(s), then signing certificate is missing them.
    * Certificate chain validation failed.
    * If device allows installation of certified installation packages, then you are attempting to install self-signed package. cannot run self-signed application ? maybe I have not all understood regarding the terms 'signed' and 'certified' ???
    I have just tried to load the prebuilt .selfs.sis file of the bluetooth sample application, just coming from the zip file.

Jean-Luc

Set it to "All" instead.
    That setting is mis-leading, in fact it rather means "Symbian signed only". Self-signing does not count as Symbian-signed, that is why it refuses your application.

that's what I guessed.
    thank you.
    Jean-Luc