Discussion Board

How can i convert an application from a SDK versition to another?

Hi all
    i'm just create an application on Nokia N97 SDK, but i haven't this device for test. Now i want to convert to Nokia SDK 3rd Edition, FPT1. Please tell me, how can i do it. Thanks so much.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How can i convert an application from a SDK versition to another?

There is nothing to convert, the code is likely the same but depending on the APIs used some of them might not be available with the old SDK.
    Install the SDK then open project's build configurations (in the Project Properties dialog, open it with Alt + Enter after selecting the project) and add the ones corresponding to the new SDK (click on the Manage button to see all available build configurations). Now build and fix whatever errors discovered.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There is nothing to convert, the code is likely the same but depending on the APIs used some of them might not be available with the old SDK.
    Install the SDK then open project's build configurations (in the Project Properties dialog, open it with Alt + Enter after selecting the project) and add the ones corresponding to the new SDK (click on the Manage button to see all available build configurations). Now build and fix whatever errors discovered.
    Thanks for your replay. Please tell me more detail. When i go to buil config manager and select all, i have 2 error:
    1. bldmake returned with exit value = 2
    2. ERROR: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\tools\variant\variant.cfg specifies \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\include\variant\Symbian_OS_v9.2.hrh which doesn't exist!

Please tell me more about this error. Because i'm a newbie on this. Thanks so much!

Super Contributor

do you have a Installed SDK For v3 FP1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    do you have a Installed SDK For v3 FP1 ?
    Yes. I have removed Nokia SDK N97 and Installed SDK v3 FP1. This is link i've downdloaded: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html. Because i want to test my application on my mobile(i'm using N73).

N73 is a S60 3rd Edition SDK therefore the SDK that should be used for it is "S60 3rd Edition SDK MR"
    This is not related to the problem you are facing now but why bother fixing the problem when the SDK you use is not the correct one.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

N73 is a S60 3rd Edition SDK therefore the SDK that should be used for it is "S60 3rd Edition SDK MR"
    This is not related to the problem you are facing now but why bother fixing the problem when the SDK you use is not the correct one.
    I don't why error occur. But this is a error reported by carbide.c++ 2.0, when i try to build a project are created in Nokia SDK N97 in Nokia SDK 3rd Edition, FP 1. This problem not related with N73. wich everyone can help me?

Please clean your project (use Project -> Clean) then do a new build for emulator using the S60 3rd Edition FP1 build confoguration. Post here the entire console output after that build.
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

make sure you have installed your SDKs and tools properly on same drive.

Please clean your project (use Project -> Clean) then do a new build for emulator using the S60 3rd Edition FP1 build confoguration. Post here the entire console output after that build.
    OK! i'm just finished this issue. then i have another problem. when i use commanline to build this project. This is the error: when i type "abld build" command. I've make abld file successfull by "bldmake bldfiles" command.

make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\s60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\S60Ex\OfflineNewsReader\Group\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    nothing to do

- If i using Carbide.C++ to build. No problem occur. But when i run it then error occur:
    'Launching OfflineNewsReader Emulater Debug (WINSCWV) [S60_3rd_FP1]' has encountered a problem.
    - And this is the detail problem:
    Program file does not exist

Program file does not exist
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\OfflineNewsReader.exe not found

Please help me. Thanks so much.

Let's stay focused on Carbide.c++ use and solve the command prompt issue later.

If the IDE cannot run your project that is because
    a) you do have some compilation problems and the binary does not get generated, or
    b) the file gets generated but the IDE looks for it in the wrong place.

As C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\ is quilte likely the correct location b) is excluded and you are left with a). I have asked for Carbide.c++'s console output, please provide that so we can see what goes on during the build process.
    -- Lucian