Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile Nokia s60 built in applications

Are the built-in applications in Nokia s60 phones done with the same sdk available for 3rd party developers ?
    Do big companies Nokia have a team exclusively for writing and maintaining these built-in applications ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia s60 built in applications

What do you expect from such questions? The answer is pretty obvious, built-in software is developed in the presence of private API-s for example - so it can not be the public SDK. And yes, there are people developing those software, they are called software developers.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Nokia s60 built in applications

You have still not understood why I'am asking such questions. I'am not a symbian c++ programmer. But sometimes I have to do it.
    And I see how pathetic the symbian c++ documentation is. Most of the time I work on J2me. And I see some functionality in built-in applications of various vendors that is not available in the public sdk. For the 2nd question, In companies like Nokia, there are folks working on api/sdk development eg: svg api or the opengl Es etc. I was just curious to know if the same folks write the applications also or the technology dev team and app dev team are different.

But why are you taking these seriously. Nobody forced you to answer. If you have problem, just ignore.

Regards,
    Jaak

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia s60 built in applications

not all of the pre-inatlled applications are made by the manufacturer, different devices ahev different sets of pre-installed application, operator, language, regianal variants might have different sets of pre-installed application. Also I'm rather sure those applications made by manufacturer do not come with information on which members of teh workforce have actually contributed on their development.

thus the questions is rather impossible to answer.