Discussion Board

Thread: News Ticker

Regular Contributor

Smile News Ticker

Hi,

I found a javascript code snippet on wiki for displaying a news ticker. Can I display the ticker on the home screen using
    web runtime widgets ? I would also like to connect to a server and display some news from there. Is this possible ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Regular Contributor

Re: News Ticker

hi 1xuname1x

below link help you:

http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...867_cover.html

Tarun(TJ)

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: News Ticker

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for the reply. But the link you gave took me to Java developer's library. You probably meant the web developer's library
    in that page. I don't have experience in WRT development or Javascript. I'am not a web developer. So it is difficult for me to
    go through the entire doc and find an answer. I have to find a quick answer. That's why I posted here.

So If you are an experienced WRT developer, please answer the questions, I repeat them below.

1. Can I show a ticker which occupies the bottom area of the home screen and show some items (scrolling) which
    are fetched from server.

2. Can I access the phone file system through WRT.

I have implemented the functionality in symbian c++. Now I might also have to implement it using WRT which I have no
    experience. Please give some help.

Regards,
    Jaak

Hi,

1. Can I show a ticker which occupies the bottom area of the home screen and show some items (scrolling) which
    are fetched from server.

Answer: Yes, you can. But the component can't have scroll, you can use scrolling in home screen.

2. Can I access the phone file system through WRT.

Answer: Yes, you just can read.
    Javier Zambrano Ferreira

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I have some more questions.

I have to fetch some items from server, 25 items at a single fetch and show it on a ticker with the items
    scrolling(vertically and horizontally). The ticker should be shown only if the home screen is shown. I would like
    it to work on all Symbian 9.x, s60 3.x devices. If I open any other application, the ticker should disappear. But
    even if it disppears, it should work in the background and at specific time intervals it should fetch some items from
    server. Please tell me if these things are possible through WRT. Also, what is 'scrolling in home screen'.

Regards,
    Jaak

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi I have read that u are a c++ developer, then you might want to consider HomeScreen widget API in the N97 sdk...

just search for Home Screen Widget in the N97 sdk help, and you can do it the C++ way too
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have already implemented this in c++ using direct screen access and is working well. But I may also need to implement
    a WRT version with some additional features not in the c++ version. Since I'am not experienced in web development, I'am
    having several doubts even after going through the documentation. If you are a WRT developer please tell if my requirements
    are feasible using WRT.

Regards,
    Jaak

Regular Contributor

Also I want it to work on s60 3rd edition devices. Not on N97 alone.

Regards,
    Jaak

Nokia Developer Champion

hi i was not talking about direct screen access, but something called Home Screen Widget API, which will help you create a widget for your N97 home screen and it will behave like other widgets, however you need not write any java script for it.
    There is an example in the N97 sdk too on it, called as HSWidget
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Regular Contributor

Yes. I understood what you said. I was just saying that the c++ version is ok. The WRT version is needed in addition to the
    c++ version. I have read about the N97 home screen api for WRT. But the problem I face is that I need to support all s60 3rd
    edition and later phones.

Regards,
    Jaak