Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Creating SIS Files

Hi

How can I create a SIS file from my Python script? Will the SIS file hold a real application or will I need the Python interpreter to run the program? Can the interpreter and scropt be bindled in the same SIS file? How can I give my program its own icon?

I am hoping I can run a single EXE that will do all that.

By the way my handset is a 7610 so the SIS file will need to be compatible with S60v1 and S60v2.

Regards

Patrick

Regular Contributor

Re: Creating SIS Files

Thanks

Looks to me that you need very few files from the SDK for doing that. Since both SDK's are free, I immagine you could create a simple batch file for us "not quite so technical" people.

I don't really want to install the whole SDKs if all I want to use is a couple of files.

Or how about a simple web page that does this for you? All you would do is upload your script and you would get a SIS file back. You could even upload a 44x44 icon and mask and the other icons would be generated from them.

Just an idea.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by patlucas View Post
    Thanks

Looks to me that you need very few files from the SDK for doing that. Since both SDK's are free, I immagine you could create a simple batch file for us "not quite so technical" people.

I don't really want to install the whole SDKs if all I want to use is a couple of files.

Or how about a simple web page that does this for you? All you would do is upload your script and you would get a SIS file back. You could even upload a 44x44 icon and mask and the other icons would be generated from them.

Just an idea.
    There was a proof of concept for this earlier (though for 3rd edition devices only)

Don't know where it was lost

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...=proof+concept
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

I have to say that I think a lot of Pythin developers would like such a service as it would "spare" them from the intricacies of getting the SDK to work. In addition, like me, they might be quite happy to develop their script on the device itself if it is reasonably simple.

Hope some technical person here will do it...

Nokia Developer Champion

In addition, like me, they might be quite happy to develop their script on the device itself if it is reasonably simple.

Hope some technical person here will do it...
    you can do that using PED its a python editor on phone developed using PyS60.

Hope i got you correctly.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the link to the on-device dditor. In my post I meant that I hope someone will write a web-based SIS generator or even an on-device one.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for the link to the on-device dditor. In my post I meant that I hope someone will write a web-based SIS generator or even an on-device one.
    oh ok sorry for misunderstanding but there again there is a python application known as smartsis i dont have its link nor do i have used that, but you can make sis files using that application.

Google it you will get that.

Regards
    Gaba88

Super Contributor

There is also this for 3rd Edition devices:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...=123021&page=3

Regular Contributor

I found SmartSIS and tried it on my Nokia 7610. Does not work. It just starts-up for a few seconds and then exits. I've installed it to the card and then to main memory with the same result. Could be that my 7610 os too old.

Still hoping for a web version though...

Nokia Developer Champion

I found SmartSIS and tried it on my Nokia 7610. Does not work. It just starts-up for a few seconds and then exits. I've installed it to the card and then to main memory with the same result. Could be that my 7610 os too old.

Still hoping for a web version though...
    I am not sure but SmartSIS works only in phone memory and make a note that you have the runtime installed in the same drive too.

Hope that works for you

Regular Contributor

The Python runtime is in main memory and I tried SmartSIS in there too. No go I'm afraid.

I found it here and I can't get it to work.
    Last edited by patlucas; 2009-07-21 at 17:18.

Regular Contributor

Hi

Here is what I did to try and diagnose why SmartSIS is not working on my Noki 7610.

First, I downloaded and installed it to the main memory. This created the following folder.
    Code:
    C:\System\Apps\SmartSIS
    Then, I had a look an that folder and saw two Python scripts as follows. There were other files too.
    Code:
    default.py
    _sismain.py
    I guessed, hopefully rightly, thst default.py gets executed automatically when the Python interpretter starts so I had a look at that file and saw the following line of code which turns-out to be wrong because I installed SnartSIS on C:
    Code:
    execfile('E:\System\Apps\SmartSIS\_sismain.py', globals())
    So I changed the E to a C and saved the file. SmartSIS still wouldn't work but it took a little longer before crashing-out.

I then copied _sismain.py to the usual script folder (C:System\Apps\Python) and tried running it from the Python environment. It came back with the following error.
    Code:
    ImportError: No module named powlite_fm
    The version of PyS60 I have is 1.4.5 final and that is based on Python 2.2.2.
    Any ideas where I can get that module?

Regards

Patrick

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    There is also this for 3rd Edition devices:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...=123021&page=3
    Hi

I now have a Nokia E61 so I installed py2sis and it does create a SIS file from a Python script. There are a few things I would like help with as follows.

In the process of creating a SIS file, it asks for the icon to use as a .MIF or .SVG file. What are those file formats? Can you convrt from JPG to these formats?

When exiting my program (packaged Python script), I get a blank screen but the menu and soft-key options are still there although they do not do anything. IO need to select Exit again to come-out completely. This does not occur when I run the script from Python. Can I get rid of this annoying behaviour?

Regards

Patrick

Super Contributor

In the process of creating a SIS file, it asks for the icon to use as a .MIF or .SVG file. What are those file formats? Can you convrt from JPG to these formats?
    Googling them is a good idea.

When exiting my program (packaged Python script), I get a blank screen but the menu and soft-key options are still there although they do not do anything. IO need to select Exit again to come-out completely. This does not occur when I run the script from Python. Can I get rid of this annoying behaviour?
    Have you used appuifw.app.set_exit()? It's necessary for standalone applications.