Discussion Board

Thread: Need advices~

Need advices~

Hi all, i'm new to Symbian ,i'm gonna develop a client app via TCP/IP on symbian with carbide c++.
    Before developping, I need to know if the client i mentioned is possible with no problem.

I just have a look disscusboard roughly, and i've found some opinions that there are some problems with communication with TCP/IP sockets
    such as multi threads communications. is it true?? or Do you think it is ok to communicate via TCP/IP socket on symbian os (with no problems)?

I'm just a novice. I need your helps...

thanks for reading.

verbalwizard~

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Need advices~

According to my experience, TCP/IP actually works on Symbian. Normally in Symbian C++ code you use the Active Object design pattern for handling asynchronous events (like network operations), but threading is also supported. Also note that you can port existing standard C/C++ code using the OpenC/C++ plugins.

thank you, wizard_hu_ for the advice.

so i can use active object or open c/c++ to develop the client app. Alright.

Thank you indeed.

-ps : you are 'wizard' as well...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Also note that if you are targetting recent S60 devices (starting with S60 3rd edition), their SDK comes with various networking examples already (pure TCP/IP is used in 'Chat', HTTP is employed in 'WebClient', and the Web Services framework is shown in 'AddressBook').

One more small point to add.

TCP/IP is the underlying protocol for HTTP and symbian devices have a fully working and stable HTTP protocol stack shared by it webbrowser and apps. So that implicitly implies that symbian TCP/IP stack is fully working and stable.