Discussion Board

Some Question about Contact in Handphone Device

Hi all,

I'm newbie in J2ME and mobile device and forgive me if this qyestion in wrong place/wrong thread (I've read the thread carefully and I thinks this is the corect place).

I've some new problems now after compression adn decompression (previous thread). I've search its before in this forum and also Googling (also asking to another people and my friends) but I can't find the answers

FYI :
    -I want to develop an application (client based) for back up contact in phonebook using DMC algorithm (teks compression) in handphone (Nokia N81 in Symbian S60). This application will be showing list of contact (in memory device), asking user how many contact that will be backup, then the number of contact (by user's input) will be compress and send to server (using SMS Gateway) in SMS (Short Message Service) media (use 155 char, 5 char for protocol, it's use servlet or sms server tools with script in/sur/local/bin).
    -I've finishing the client application for read and write phonebook (based form example in Nokia Community), server (using sms server tools+script in fedora 8 and nowsms in windows+servlet).
    -But, I can't to : choose how many number of contact that will be select to backup (compress).

Some of my questions are :
    1. In my windows xp, using j2me, I find some of contact in : C:\WTK22\appdb\DefaultColorPhone\pim\contacts\Contacts (one contact similar with one vcf file). But, in the real environment, I mean in real handphone (in this case I use Nokia N81 that copnnected to PC using bluettoth or data cable), where is I can find the contact file? in what directory?
    FYI :
    Now using bluetooth connection (in remote shared folder), I find E: and C: directory. Each of them consist of directories videos, sounds, others, import, images, documents, data, cities, attachments, and two files that is qf and card_contect.cid
    In which directory or file that N81 8GB save its contact number (in memory device)?

2. In J2ME I find some of contact in : C:\WTK22\appdb\DefaultColorPhone\pim\contacts\Contacts, but one contact similar with one vcf file. It must be like this (one contact = one vcf file) or we can make all contact saved in one file or one directory?

3. I haven't idea when put/get source f contact in memory device when compression process. What is kind must be for the better?Save contact (that selected) in text file or save in memoery device (use variabel) or?

4. What is the structure of phone book? Is it like structure of V-Card?
    If yes, how about in the case of multiple contact (when I want to select some of them to compress)?

5.According the question number 4, is there any "blackbox method" for the way?

Hope you help me. Because I can't find the qnswer for this questions.

Thanks for your help and your time.

Regard

Bytescode

Re: Some Question about Contact in Handphone Device

Or if any link (URL), hope you post here.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

The phonebook does not exist in a "file" that you can access. It can only be accessed by the appropriate API. In Java, that means the PIM API (part of JSR 75). You don't need to know where or how the data are stored... the PIM API implementation knows this.

Just type "pim api" into Google, you should find plenty of information.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Some Question about Contact in Handphone Device

yes ofcourse, u have to use PIM api for retrieving the contacts by the use of pim api jsr 75. apart from that no other way to do the same.
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Super Contributor

1. You'll need at least AllFiles capabilities to access contact database directly on device. You should work with contact API provided by Symbian or J2ME

2. It should be possible using public API

3. Not sure I understand this question

4. Before Symbian OS 9.5, database structure is not published; but it's compatible with a vCard

5. There are public APIs

@all :
    Thanks a lot
    I'll try it.