Discussion Board

Nokia 6212 - JSR 177 - Connection opening issue

Unlike the JSR 257, it is not possible to send explicitly a SELECT command APDU to the SIM card via the JSR 177.
    You have to open a connection with the AID of the applet in parameters like for example (APDUConnection)Connector.open("apdu:0;target=a0.00.00.00.62.03.01.0c.02.01").

It also means that it is not possible to get the applet APDU response to the SELECT command via the JSR 177.
    The worst is that the connection opening fails if the applet response to the SELECT command contains some data.
    Example :
    If the response contains only the two status bytes 90 00 --> The connection is opened.
    If the response contains some data (for example 01 02 03 04 05 06 90 00) --> The connection can't be opened!

I noticed it on the Nokia 6212 (and also the SAGEM my700X Contactless).

Does anyone face the same issue?
    Is it the expected behaviour?
    Would the future Nokia 6216 phone be able to open a connection with an applet if the response to the SELECT command contains some data?

Re: Nokia 6212 - JSR 177 - Connection opening issue

Well, you have to specifiy the applet you want to talk to in the open() Method of the JSR177. So you don't have to care with Select APDUs. According to the JSR177 you are not allowed to send such "manage-channel" commands to the card. This is a "standard" behavior and a correct implementation.

br, Gerald

Sure, you can specify the aid of the applet you want to talk to which do implicitly a SELECT command but you can't get the APDU response to the SELECT command as you can with the JSR 257.
    Since the SIM card or the embedded secure element can both be used to store sensitive application like banking application, it is not very convenient to have two different interfaces (JSR 257 and JSR 177) with two different behaviors.

Also, it does not explain why it is not possible in some cases with the JSR 177 to open a connection with an applet (aid specified in the open method) if the APDU response to the implicit SELECT command returns data.

Smile Re: Nokia 6212 - JSR 177 - Connection opening issue

I am afraid that I met the same thing. and, if you have the experence of successfully established APDU connection on when response contains only the two status bytes? Could you share me some detail?
    thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre.brousseau View Post
    Example :
    If the response contains only the two status bytes 90 00 --> The connection is opened.
    Last edited by chb; 2009-08-25 at 07:58.

Eventually I got the anwser.
    If you spy what is sent to the SIM card when you open a connection with an application (or if you read the specification), you will notice that the connection can be opened on a channel different from the channel 0 (Most of the time channel 1 is used). So, if your application refused to be opened on a channel different from the channel 0, you can't open a connection with it!!!
    It does not depend on data present or not in the APDU response as I thought...
    Thought I still think that it is not convenient since you have not the APDU response to the SELECT command that is sent implicitely by the JVM.

I have downloaded and installed My applet into the Gemplus Gem Xplore 3G card. I write the MIDlet to access the SIM card via JSR 177 on Nokia 6212. It is all right to connect the card with my applet AID, to select some EF, and read some records. But as I send the Verify PIN apdu command (00 20 ....), I get the SecurityException. And I have also tried to send my proprietary apdu command (80 XX .. ), I also get the SecurityException. I am wondering whether the MIDlet can only access some "standard" apdu commands via JSR 177 on Nokia 6212 for some security reasons. The critical apdu commands like "Verify PIN" or other un-recognized commands will all be rejected. And, if it is true, is there any methods to bypass the checks?

Dear all, hi
    Regarding the use of JSR177 (SATSA) as a communication between a MidLet and a SIMCard, I have a problem in running the sample on a real SIM card/cell phone.

I've tried the ready-to-use sample in Gemalto's website at here:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...7-example.html

However the simulation runs perfectly.
    I've installed the .cap/.jar files, but when trying to run the midlet on some phones, it shows an "application fails" error.
    Is it really necessary to have specific types of SIM cards/ cellphone?! I'm installing the applet in a USIM R5/ Sony Ericsson W910. In fact do all the simcards (2.5 G)? (or e.g. for phones just Nokia 6216 ?!!)
    And by the way, just installing .cap /.jar would be enough without any further setting on the real phone?!

I asked the question in some forums, but did not receive any responses. Please help me...

Best regards