Discussion Board

how does the Mobile communicate with Server,needed help.

Hi all,

I would like to know a few things when It comes to mobile communication with the resident server...

Here is what I need to understand..
    Eg, supposing I want to check the authenticity of a chocolate box... What I do is,I sms a code on the box to lets say '1234' now this detail is forwarded to a server that hosts all the details of chocolates...
    Now the code that is sms'd is checked in the DB to see if its authentic and then if not the the server sends another msg stating that the box is invalid....

What I want to know is, how does this sort of communication work? What are the elements of the network world involved in completing this transaction and how does the actual data flow from Mobile ---> Server ----> Mobile.

How does it work?
    Please help me understand this concept!!!!

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how does the Mobile communicate with Server,needed help.

SMS is problematic, since you would need to have a contract with the operator to be able to get the SMS to your service, or you could hook up normal mobile phone and make it to communicate with computer, then you could use normal phone number for the SMS. Anyway, you don't need to know anything about the network, all you need to know is how the data comes to you and how you reply back.

All and all, are you trying to implement something or just doing a research, in both cases, you might find google to be a very nice tool on informations earching process..

Buying a Number from the service provider is all fine...
    Thats not an issue ... But I do not have a clear understanding of how a sms travels from the phone to a server... And the server responds by serving the request...

Its like this Bill management...
    Where in you have one particular no that is keyed in using your phone... Then it has to reach the server the server then looks up your no: and fwds the details....

When I say understanding this concept, Im referring to something like the client/server model... Now when I key in this in google i get a clear picture of how it works...

But when I do the same to find out how this sms thing works,It invariably describes about how a msg travels from one SMSE to another SMSE.... thats not what I want...

Hence I'm putting up a question here....
    please help

Nokia Developer Moderator

you would propably get all answers for the server communications from the operator you make the contract with so try asking, or you could indeed try out googling..