Discussion Board

Using Qt Designer to create GUI

I use Qt Designer to create a Qt Main Window. When I try to design my menu options, I got several problems:

1. If I only create a menu item without sub-items, the menu item won't be visible. (Here I add the menu item by editing the .ui file.)

2. To solve the problem above, I referenced some example code. Then I remove the menubar from the UI designer and create the menu option directly by calling menuBar()->addAction(). This approach worked!

3. When ever I create a Qt Main Window class, the option menu always have two existing options, which are "Show open apps." and "Actions". I couldn't see where these two options were implemented. How can I remove these two options?

4. Finally, after fighting with Qt Designer, I am wondering if it is better to use Qt Designer for UI, or I should just code everything by hand? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hai-Ning

Regular Contributor

Re: Using Qt Designer to create GUI

3) I think these two items are added by the operating system. I saw them in native nokia applications too, so why bother?
    4) That depends on your taste. I try to do as much as possible in the designer but I do desktop development most of the time. For embedded, I usually do it by hand because the layouts are very simple and I have to fine tune anyway.

Super Contributor

1. If I only create a menu item without sub-items, the menu item won't be visible. (Here I add the menu item by editing the .ui file.)
    Depends on how you implemented menu.

2. To solve the problem above, I referenced some example code. Then I remove the menubar from the UI designer and create the menu option directly by calling menuBar()->addAction(). This approach worked!
    menuBar() function provided in QMainWindow will returns the menu bar for the main window. This function creates and returns an empty menu bar if the menu bar does not exist. so you can use it if you want.

3. When ever I create a Qt Main Window class, the option menu always have two existing options, which are "Show open apps." and "Actions". I couldn't see where these two options were implemented. How can I remove these two options?
    Framework add one menu item "Show open apps." to show task bar and which is(if i am not wrong) can not removed. Never show "Actions" menu item, you might doing something wrong.

4. Finally, after fighting with Qt Designer, I am wondering if it is better to use Qt Designer for UI, or I should just code everything by hand? Any suggestions?
    As said by axeljaeger, its depends on you.

Hi!
    Did You manage to solve the problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by hainingwu View Post
    I am interested in weird 'Actions' element. Nobody seems to experience the same problem and i can't figure out how to remove the element. Can someone explain what for is this 'Actions' menu entry and, most importatly, how to remove it?

Regards,
    Thomas

Super Contributor

Have you set setContextMenuPolicy() to Qt::NoContextMenu ???. Could it be possible to see how you created menu and how you added menu items?
    Last edited by savaj; 2009-09-22 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by hainingwu View Post
    "Show open apps." - is a default entry.
    "Actions" - I have exactly same problem. So I can't solve it through ContextMenuPolicy.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by fo2 View Post
    "Actions" - I have exactly same problem. So I can't solve it through ContextMenuPolicy.
    It should be possible to get rid of the Actions menu with QWidget::setContextMenuPolicy( Qt::NoContextMenu ), as mentioned by savaj. Note however that you must set the context menu policy of every widget (that has actions) in the hierarchy. So, if you have a QMainWindow, call that method on it, as well as on each child widget.

Thumbs up Re: Using Qt Designer to create GUI

hi....

i tried to add menubar tht designer...
    bt it was nt achievable.. can some one let me knw how to add menubar tht designer..
    and is there any document tht describes how to use designer... in detail
    and wht all r the possible things tht can be achieved tht desgner??

Regular Contributor

http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6/designer-manual.html

Btw: What kind of keyboard are you using? It is hard to read a text with so many typos.

it does nt give complete info.. like adding menus, sub menus as and so..
    spk abt launching nt abt the utility...

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but I do not understand your second sentence, there is too much errors.

Super Contributor

You MUST switch ADT to the QT C++ perspective to be able to add menus and so on!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

thanks for ur reply....ya i got it !