Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from memory card

Anybody else noticed this? Simple swf packaged into sis application with Forum Nokia online SIS packager at http://www.swfpack.com/fn/index.php installs onto memory card, but installed application launching fails with 'System Error'? When installed onto phone memory, the same swf launches and works fine.

Any workaround on this issue?

--Pasi

Regular Contributor

Re: Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from memory card

it works fine for me bro No error at all may b some patches running in background

Re: Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from memory card

If it works for you, can you share some details, like:
    - device model (and sw version if possible)
    - Flash lite version you are using
    - Flash authoring tool version you use to create the swf
    - settings you use using swfpack

I'm trying with Nokia N97, Flash CS4, Flash lite 3.0/AS2.0 swf, and otherwise default, self-signed settings in swfpack besides app name 'SimpleTest' and the swf file.

Question Re: Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from memory card

I am in the same boat. I don't know if it's related to the packaging tool, but I am having the same error installing the application to a memory card. It installs fine, and when browsing the card with file manager, it all looks like it installed properly, but when I run the application from the menu, I get "System Error" with the little red stop sign. However, running the swf file directly from file manager works no problem.

When I install the application anyone on the device memory,C: or E: it works perfectly fine.

I am using CS3/Flash Lite 2.1/AS2, Nokia N97, and online flash packaging tool as well. Symbian signed with a developer certificate derived from my publisher id and test UID provided by Symbiansigned.com site.

Bumping to see if anyone has any other input on this item.

I don't know that it's related to the online packaging tool, but I definitely cannot run an application that's been installed on a memory card on the Nokia N97. I've tried multiple flash apps with the same results.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Apply the Extended panic code trick to learn more about the error.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

That's a bit out of my experience range. I am not using the emulator. I am building my SIS online via the Flash Online Packager on the Nokia site, and I have no other way to determine what's going on while the app runs from a memory card.

Is there any kind of logging I can do on the device itself to track these things?

Please read that article again and, as instructed, install that little sis file on your device. The result is going to be that instead of "System Error" you will see a bit more detailed error message. Just like the trick in my recent blog post
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Bryan,

I had to resort to building a c++ stub application for launching the swf file, according to instructions from S60 5th Edition C++ Developer's Library:

http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...work_API4.html

and

Flash Lite Developer's Library:

http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...2668E5DCD.html

This approach does require you to learn quite a bit about Symbian C++ application SIS packaging, though. On the plus side, you'll gain some control over the Flash environment, like memory allocation for the player, and capabilities your swf may need when it is running. And although this approach helped me in this problem, of course your mileage may vary...

-- Pasi

Since we have a tool that is designed to hide Symbian C++ from you it should be easier to fix that tool if indeed there is a problem rather than learn a new programming language.

Bryan, if you really can't sort it out do send me the sis file at fn dot support @nokia dot com and I will try to have a look.
    -- Lucian

Hi all,

Yes, apparently I didn't read the article closely enough, so thanks for your patience Lucian. However, I've gone through it thoroughly today and here's the scoop.

I installed the ErrRd.sis on my Nokia N97 and I now have a Zero byte ErrRd file in C:\resources as verified by browsing to that directory with ActiveFile and seeing it listed there. However, I am still getting the exact same "System Error (stop sign icon)" error message as before with no extra codes or data. I rebooted the device, uninstalled and reinstalled the application on the memory card, but still no luck. Same error message as before.

I took an extra step and installed Panic Observer as suggested in the article to see if I could monitor what is happening. Unfortunately though the app seems to be working perfectly it is not catching any details about my application.

I'd love to take Pasi suggestion about development, however I am not a developer to that extent and only wish to get this flash app ready for signing. hehe. But thanks for the info, I'll keep it for future use for my other devs. I'm sure it'll be handy.

Lucian, if you are sure it isn't a problem I'll forward the SIS file I am using to you and maybe you will have better log debugging why it won't launch from the memory card. In the meantime, if anyone has other suggestions I can try to implement here without major development access, I'm game.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Bryan

Strange and intriguing. Sure, no problem, just send me the sis and some indication about how to test it to repro the problem (including device and fw. version) and I'll let you know what I can find about it, if anything.
    -- Lucian

The test is positive, we have a bug! However the error must be rephrased as "Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from drives higher than E:\"

So you are safe to install it on memory cards on most devices but not on N96 or later devices if they have multidrive support.

The problem should be easily solved but let's see how soon it can be done. Until then the only solutions seem to be:
    a) manual SIS file creation with install limited to drive C:\ or E:\
    b) write your own Symbian C++ stub app
    -- Lucian

Well, that's good news. I mean, that the problem was tracked down, not that there is a problem per se.

Now I just have to figure out what to do next. I know I don't want to write my own Stub application. So I shall endeavor to make the manual sis file and build it only to launch from C: or E:, thought I am not sure how to do that yet.

But I wonder, will this affect the Symbian Signing if I do that? I Suppose I should refer those questions to my post in the symbian forums re UNI-09 testing.

Thanks for your help on pinpointing this problem Lucian. Hopefully it can be fixed quick enough

Bryan

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Swf packaged with online packaging tool does not launch properly from memory card

I shall endeavor to make the manual sis file and build it only to launch from C: or E:, thought I am not sure how to do that yet.
    It is quite simple now a days, u can use a GUI tool like SISContent. Now, open ur sis in SISConent , go to contents, and click on the files and change there drive letter to C: or E: or just edit the pkg file.
    But I wonder, will this affect the Symbian Signing if I do that?
    Yes! it will affect the Symbian Signing .You have to resign the sis package after editing or modifying it.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft