Discussion Board

Some things I would like to get working in WRT on N97

My mistakes? Problems with some tricks known? Limitations with a hope
    of being fixing in near future?

Thanks in advance for a response on any of the issues.

When I am starting an application (e.g. camera) using asynchronous function
    result = so.IAppManager.LaunchApp(criteria, callback) ,
    I always get the result.ErrorCode to be 1003 which is supposed to mean "missing argument". Application still starts but callback function is never called.
    Same thing happens with the example widget - asynchronous launchApp returns 1003 http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...rSampleWgt.wgz
    Moreover, I get the same problem in S60 5th SDK simulator, for both my code and the AppManagerSampleWgt.

Google Maps API (v.2) in principle works in a WRT widget, but with two limitations. The same is for the simulator, although plugin for Aptana does not have these problems.
    When using route finding function, the route is found, textual directions are presented, but the polyline of the route is now drawn. Google Maps API uses SVG for that, as I understood. WRT just does not support SVG overlays?
    Actually, examples involving drawing polylines on Google Maps (e.g. http://code.google.com/apis/maps/doc...ne-simple.html)
    do not seem to work in S60 web browser either.
    When dragging the stylus (finger) across the map, the whole widget window is moved, not the map. Navigation is therefore possible only using google maps' controls.

Re: Some things I would like to get working in WRT on N97

More on issue 2.1 above:
    According to my experiments, N97's web browser does not seem to support inline SVG, although supports SVG in separate files.
    The simple code below works in Firefox or Chrome, but on N97 the inline SVG circle is not drawn. The separate a.svg file is drawn although in an iframe.
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head> <title>SVG embedded inline in XHTML</title> </head>
    <body>
    <h1>SVG embedded inline in XHTML</h1>

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="300" height="200">
    <circle cx="150" cy="100" r="50" />
    </svg>

<br/> <iframe src="a.svg" width="700" height="500"></iframe>

</body>
    </html>

For both Firefox and Chrome, however, the extension of the file must be either .xhtml or .xml. If it is .html, the circle is not drawn either.

Any thoughts on that?

A disturbing thing is that according to Google,
    " In Internet Explorer, Google Maps uses VML (see XHTML and VML) to draw polylines; in other browsers SVG is used if available. In all other circumstances, we request an image of the line from Google servers and overlay that image on the map, refreshing the image as necessary as the map is zoomed and dragged around."
    In other words, N97's browser reports (or implicitly considered by Google server) as supporting SVG, while in fact it does not..

Anyone knows how to make Google server think that non-SVG browser is the user-agent?

I have just discovered the same thing using MultiMap which also uses svg for polylines (except on IE where it uses VML too).

Like you I found that the S60 browser would display an embedded .svg file but not an inline <svg> from a .xhtml file nor an inline <svg> generated from javascript (which is what the MM API will do).

I brought this to the attention of MM who advised me to contact the S60 browser support team. So I've come here to try and do that and found your message in the forum.

Have you had any feedback or made any further progress?

Thanks,
    Paul

Just to say that instead of using a polyline I plotted my route using markers spaced every 100 meters (on a 1:50000 scale map). Since I'm plotting walking routes, a 6 mile walk requires 96 markers which did not overburden the phone at all. It's an alternative while polylines aren't working anyway.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by akartem View Post
    My mistakes? Problems with some tricks known? Limitations with a hope
    of being fixing in near future?

Thanks in advance for a response on any of the issues.

When I am starting an application (e.g. camera) using asynchronous function
    result = so.IAppManager.LaunchApp(criteria, callback) ,
    I always get the result.ErrorCode to be 1003 which is supposed to mean "missing argument". Application still starts but callback function is never called.
    Same thing happens with the example widget - asynchronous launchApp returns 1003 http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...rSampleWgt.wgz
    Moreover, I get the same problem in S60 5th SDK simulator, for both my code and the AppManagerSampleWgt.

Google Maps API (v.2) in principle works in a WRT widget, but with two limitations. The same is for the simulator, although plugin for Aptana does not have these problems.
    When using route finding function, the route is found, textual directions are presented, but the polyline of the route is now drawn. Google Maps API uses SVG for that, as I understood. WRT just does not support SVG overlays?
    Actually, examples involving drawing polylines on Google Maps (e.g. http://code.google.com/apis/maps/doc...ne-simple.html)
    do not seem to work in S60 web browser either.
    When dragging the stylus (finger) across the map, the whole widget window is moved, not the map. Navigation is therefore possible only using google maps' controls.
    Hi,

I did some tests with the IAppManager and got the same error with some applications. However the camera application works nicely most of the time (I did got the 1003 error a couple of times). I'm trying to find a solution for this problem.

Unfortunately mouse events can not be tracked (i.e no drag support). You could try to use one workaround to ease the navigation. At least with google maps v3 API, one can center the map to the point which user clicked. (well it is not the same as native behavior, but beats clicking arrow buttons)

HTML Code:
    google.maps.event.addListener(map, 'click', function(event) {
    	    map.set_center(event.latLng);
      	});
    Best Regards,
    Ilkka - FN

Hey there,

Did you have any response on the issue of the polylines not showing, or did you manage to resolve it by any chance?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi guys,

I have posted both issues (mouse drag event + polylines) to our Browser support tool. Let's see what comes out of it.

You could also help by resending these two to developer.feedback@nokia.com.

[]s
    Daniel