Discussion Board

In module e32db , how can i use " where ..in .."

I had created a table in my database , and i want to select data from it using sql .I want to use the model "SELECT Student_name FROM Student_information WHERE Student_id IN (...)".If I had a list of student_id ,how can i complete the SELECT sentence .
    In original SQL sentence it would be "SELECT Student_name FROM Student_information WHERE Student_id IN (08012,08014,08015)".
    thank you !

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: In module e32db , how can i use " where ..in .."

Quote Originally Posted by yesl08 View Post
    I had created a table in my database , and i want to select data from it using sql .I want to use the model "SELECT Student_name FROM Student_information WHERE Student_id IN (...)".If I had a list of student_id ,how can i complete the SELECT sentence .
    In original SQL sentence it would be "SELECT Student_name FROM Student_information WHERE Student_id IN (08012,08014,08015)".
    thank you !
    hello yesl08

the only thing i can do to help you is give you this article at the wiki which contain some basic information about database in PyS60.

Regards
    Gaba88

Regular Contributor

One way I overcame this issue by creating a helper that translates (1,2,3,4,5....) into OR statements on the fly (in the data layer of my app). So

Code:
    select * from customers where customer_id in (1,2,3,4,5)
    would become:

Code:
    select * from customers where customer_id = 1 or customer_id = 2 or customer_id = 3 or customer_id = 4 or customer_id = 5
    Surprisingly there is not much of a penalty performance and the where string can be quite long. I managed to build a where clause with 100 or so OR statements in it.

Btw, are you trying to overcome the issue of missing inner joins with this?

raf

Quote Originally Posted by raf1hh View Post
    One way I overcame this issue by creating a helper that translates (1,2,3,4,5....) into OR statements on the fly (in the data layer of my app). So

Code:
    select * from customers where customer_id in (1,2,3,4,5)
    would become:

Code:
    select * from customers where customer_id = 1 or customer_id = 2 or customer_id = 3 or customer_id = 4 or customer_id = 5
    Surprisingly there is not much of a penalty performance and the where string can be quite long. I managed to build a where clause with 100 or so OR statements in it.

Btw, are you trying to overcome the issue of missing inner joins with this?

raf
    First of all , thanks for your help.
    but how I know the length of the helper ,which is not a constant ? The list may be different each time when the function is called ?

Regular Contributor

Sorry. What I ment is this:

In my application I have implemented the ActiveRecord pattern. All database access goes through the data-access-layer classes and this gives me ability to be creative with the queries. So even though I can't do inner joins I can get the results I need by building complex OR statements.

Thats where the helper comes in. It's really just a simple function, you pass it an array of ids and the name of the column and out comes a sql where clause...

rafael