Discussion Board

How can I protect my software from piracy?

Is there a way that I can get some kind of info that is unique for the device (in order to generate a key)?

I am afraid that a group of people will buy one license, and then distribute it within the group.

Is there another way to avoid the piracy problem?

opar

The best idea I could come up with was to generate a random identifier when the midlet is first run and then store this in the recordstore. You can then use this as part of a registration algorithm.

The only down side of this approach is that if the user reinstalls the midlet they will have to get a new registration key.

Thanks alot.

opar

Re: How can I protect my software from piracy?

The easiest which i came through is usign IMEI of phone to protect it from unauthorised acess you can refer my article on this http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...MSI_in_Java_ME and among with that using the blutooths serial no will add extra security to the phone application

What you can do:
    You and all the developers have to joined those forums where our valuable applications are available like Dreamspark,mobilephonetalk,etc,etc and then start posting trojans which is specially created for those site. like deleting the contacts of user etc, etc. so the user who will download from those illegal sites will have a fear of not to be download from those illegal sources. For that I have started a Campaign also. If you want you too can develop an application which can delete all those contacts from the phone when installed. to create you can take help of how to delete contact from flashlite and then post it on such forums.

Super Contributor

eeerrrooozzz,

You (and anyone else contemplating such malicious "countermeasures") have to realize, that it is most probably just as illegal, or even more so, for you to make and distribute such apps, than those cracking your apps, or redistributing or using such cracked apps illegally.

In other words, you really should not create and distribute malicious apps as "countermeasures", as it may cause more harm than good (for you, and unsuspecting users who will also be affected).