Discussion Board

A few questions about application packaging.

Hi

a)If I want to bundle the runtime with my application, how do I specify this in the application packager?

b)Even if I don't want to bundle the runtime I may want to specify it as a dependency, how do I do that?

c)How does the application launching mechanism and capability model work? Does:
    1. The stub launcher starts the runtime in its own process, feeding it the script it needs to load
    2. The stub launcher loads the runtime into the launcher process and feeds it the script it needs to load.
    in other words, what do the capabilities I feed into ensymble actually do - are these going to be "obeyed" even if the runtime isn't signed with high enough capabilities? What if I feed in lesser capabilities than the runtime has - what will happen then.

d) I see you can display a text file on startup using textfile. Can you force text to be displayed on uninstall?

e) For autostart - does this use the startup list management API?

f) the profile is console or S60ui - presumably this defines what modules are specified as dependencies by default - if not, what does this *really* do?

g) ignore-missing-deps - I think what you are saying is that the packager will check your python script or folder and package all dependencies. If these can't be resolved this keyword will mean that the installer will still continue.
    - is that correct
    - are modules packaged whether or not they exist on the phone? what I'm getting at here is are there multiple copies potentially of modules on the phone?

Thank you
    Regards
    Hamish

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: A few questions about application packaging.

Hello Hamish

will try to solve some of your queries.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Hi
    a)If I want to bundle the runtime with my application, how do I specify this in the application packager?
    This is already been discussed in the Python Dibo a good search may help you. Other wise the mergesis option of ensymble is used to merge two sis files.

b)Even if I don't want to bundle the runtime I may want to specify it as a dependency, how do I do that?
    At the time of installing the application you can mention that this application require Python runtime and you can give the location from where it can be downloaded.

in other words, what do the capabilities I feed into ensymble actually do - are these going to be "obeyed" even if the runtime isn't signed with high enough capabilities? What if I feed in lesser capabilities than the runtime has - what will happen then.
    you dont need to sign the runtime as it is nokia signed so you need just to sign the actual application sis.

i am not aware of that as in symabian C++ you need to use that API here you need to mention it in the ensymble options.

hope this helps you

for all other questions you need to wait a bit

Regards
    Gaba88

Hi Gabba

Thank you very much for your response, it was helpful. Below is the result of my research.

The suggested answer is to use the mergesis option of ensymble to merge the runtime SIS file into the parent sis file. However:
    i) mergesis clearly states that it does not allow merging of SIS files that contain embedded SIS files.
    ii) the maemo garage has only SIS files which embed PIPS/OpenC
    For this use case to work either mergesis needs to support merging of SIS files with embedded SIS OR, the maemo garage needs to supply (in addition to this SIS) separate SIS for python and pips (only)

The only other alternative I see is to use the makesis tool in the C++ SDK to create the package, which somewhat defeats the purpose of having ensymble.

I've raised a defect: on this : (https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...=854&atid=3201)

I believe you are saying there is no way. there is no way to declare a runtime dependency check using the installer. Therefore your suggestion is that we include a note in the startup text?

c)How does the application launching mechanism and capability model work? Does:
    1. The stub launcher starts the runtime in its own process, feeding it the script it needs to load
    2. The stub launcher loads the runtime into the launcher process and feeds it the script it needs to load.

> you dont need to sign the runtime as it is nokia signed so you need just to sign the actual application sis.

Thank you, this partially answers my question, as does: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...n_PyS60:_Part2

Basically PyS60 is signed with all the capabilities except the manufacturer capabilities. The implementation must be "1", ie the runtime is probably a DLL that is loaded into the launcher process.

>i am not aware of that as in symabian C++ you need to use that API here you need to mention it in the ensymble options.
    Thank you. It must use it (simply adds another file to the package)

d) I see you can display a text file on startup using textfile. Can you force text to be displayed on uninstall?
    I am fairly sure its missing functinality

I'm still hoping for answers to this one.
    f) the profile is console or S60ui - presumably this defines what modules are specified as dependencies by default - if not, what does this *really* do?
    g) ignore-missing-deps - I think what you are saying is that the packager will check your python script or folder and package all dependencies. If these can't be resolved this keyword will mean that the installer will still continue.
    - is that correct
    - are modules packaged whether or not they exist on the phone? what I'm getting at here is are there multiple copies potentially of modules on the phone?

Thank you very much.
    Regards
    Hamish

Nokia Developer Champion

Thank you very much for your response, it was helpful. Below is the result of my research.

The suggested answer is to use the mergesis option of ensymble to merge the runtime SIS file into the parent sis file. However:
    i) mergesis clearly states that it does not allow merging of SIS files that contain embedded SIS files.
    ii) the maemo garage has only SIS files which embed PIPS/OpenC
    For this use case to work either mergesis needs to support merging of SIS files with embedded SIS OR, the maemo garage needs to supply (in addition to this SIS) separate SIS for python and pips (only)

The only other alternative I see is to use the makesis tool in the C++ SDK to create the package, which somewhat defeats the purpose of having ensymble.
    Hello Hamish

Thanks for such a great explanation i also after replying to you tried the mergesis stuff and was unsuccessful but then i tried using the makesis tool and i got a success you can know more details on this here.
    ya AFAIK there is no other method, i will be happy if somebody make me wrong.

ya this is a missing functionality in PyS60.

are modules packaged whether or not they exist on the phone? what I'm getting at here is are there multiple copies potentially of modules on the phone?
    by modules i guess you are talking about the extensions and yes they are packaged whether they exist or not and i dont feel that there are multiple copies of module on the phone as AFAIK they will be installed separately pardon me if i am wrong as i have not done that yet.

Regards