Discussion Board

Question .PY works, .SIS doesn't

Hi,

I have written an application in python (Pys60) that records the GSM/UMTS network information (using "location" in Pys60 and Chris Berger's "elocation") and also records GPS location (using "location"), and then sends this info from my Nokia N95 via URL to my web server.

I have signed the "elocation" module and my python Script shell via "Open Signed", and everything works great. Until...

When I use Ensymble 0.28 (I have Python 2.5 in my Ubuntu machine, and I'm using Pys60 1.4.5 on my phone) I use the py2sis, doing:

ensymble.py py2sis --caps=LocalServices+ReadUserData+etc.. myapp.sis(I apply all possible CAPS allowed, basic and extended, including especially Location, Read/Write DeviceData, Read/Write UserData). I then upload it to Open-Signed On-Line.

The SIS application runs all the way thru, and even confirms it sent the data. But when I check my server, no info is received (??). When I run the .py file (exact same as used in the py2sis) in the scriptshell, it works everytime (??).

What is the SIS file doing differently from the PY? Or did I not make the SIS file correctly? I'm confused...

PS- I use MD5 also, does this need any special treatemnt in terms of "signing" or "caps", or any other hoops of fire that need to be jumped thru?

PPS- As someone new to Symbian programming, I have to say I'm really happy by the ease of use and support given, however the "signing" and "capabilities" process really makes it a case of "one step forward, two steps back" I understand the need for security, but can't the user just simply agree to allow the app these abilities themselves? Why is Symbian complicating things with the current processes?
    Last edited by RadioRaider; 2009-07-23 at 13:55.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: .PY works, .SIS doesn't

Try to debugg the SIS file using one of the techniques here. That might help,

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ing_techniques
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Thanks croozeus, but I'm not sure if that will really help, as it doesn't seem to be a "bug" in the normal sense. If my program fails to retraive GSM network info, or GPS, it won't make it all the way to the end anyway, in PY or SIS form. I even get the "data sent" confirmation from the SIS, which means the phone contacted my webserver. The problem is that either it's sending empty data, or wrong data, or..? I will also investigate on the server side, but I'm baffeled why the PY script works, but the SIS doesn't?? If the SIS is given correct CAPS and signed via "Open Signed On-Line", then really, how is the SIS different from the original PY??

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRaider View Post
    Thanks croozeus, but I'm not sure if that will really help, as it doesn't seem to be a "bug" in the normal sense. If my program fails to retraive GSM network info, or GPS, it won't make it all the way to the end anyway, in PY or SIS form. I even get the "data sent" confirmation from the SIS, which means the phone contacted my webserver. The problem is that either it's sending empty data, or wrong data, or..? I will also investigate on the server side, but I'm baffeled why the PY script works, but the SIS doesn't?? If the SIS is given correct CAPS and signed via "Open Signed On-Line", then really, how is the SIS different from the original PY??
    Can't say much without seeing the code or infact actually testing it!

You did include NetworkServices capability, right? Anyway, could you still try if the exception harness method throws any statements.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

I found the problem:

pw = md5.new("something")

params = urllib.urlencode({'pw_': pw,etc...

the code above works fine in the Python Script shell, but not in the SIS file. Strange. So there is a difference between the script-shell and the SIS file...

Super Contributor

Too late but ... I had problems many times where sis didn't work and scripts worked and I want to register my strategy in such situation:
    Code:
    try:
        # your original code here
    except Exception, e:
        from appuifw import note
        note(unicode(e))
    Just take note of exception and fix it.