Discussion Board

Thread: S60 Browser 7.1

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

S60 Browser 7.1

Nokia has introduced S60 Browser 7.1. This new mobile browser is based on WebKit 525, and adds features and updates contributed by Nokia and other members of the WebKit open source community.

For developers the introduction of S60 Browser 7.1 delivers full support for Flash Lite 3.0. It also extends support for S60 Platform Services to selected S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 devices. The new browser is pre-loaded in these S60 3.2.3 devices: Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia N86 8MP device, Nokia E52 messaging device, Nokia E55 messaging device, and Nokia E72 device. Other selected S60 3.2.3 devices will gain S60 Browser 7.1 through firmware updates.

Early versions of S60 Browser 7.1 were released without support for onKeyPress to capture select and navigation key events. For full details, see the Knowledge Base entry in the Forum Nokia Wiki: TSS001451 - Key event handling in S60 Browser 7.1 and S60 WRT 1.1. This omission affects both web and WRT widget code. Later versions of the browser will correct this omission.

Re: S60 Browser 7.1

Hi, this is good news. Any indication what the 'other selected' devices would be, that will get the new browser? And when?

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Early versions of S60 Browser 7.1 were released without support for onKeyPress to capture select and navigation key events. For full details, see the Knowledge Base entry in the Forum Nokia Wiki: TSS001451 - Key event handling in S60 Browser 7.1 and S60 WRT 1.1. This omission affects both web and WRT widget code. Later versions of the browser will correct this omission.
    I am not sure whether this is related, but I found that the new browser shows some other peculiarities with keypress handling as well. In particular, some form controls seem to be very "greedy" when they have the focus:

On the N97 (Browser 7.1.13841) and N86, when a <SELECT> element is focused, the onKeyDown handler never gets called for anything other than cursor left/right/up/down (both in "tabbed" and standard navigation mode). Instead, every other key opens the selection menu. This is actually quite extensive, because even by pressing the Camera button with a <SELECT> element in focus will open the selection popup, though the Camera app is still lauched.

The same happens for an <INPUT type="image"> submit button, where anything other than the cursor keys will submit the form when the image button has the focus.

See here for a simple demonstration of both effects.

Is this worth logging as a Known Issue? It may not be a problem for many application, but it limits the usefulness of capturing keyboard shortcuts on a web page for anything other than navigation.

ciao marcus

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mgroeber9110 View Post

Is this worth logging as a Known Issue? It may not be a problem for many application, but it limits the usefulness of capturing keyboard shortcuts on a web page for anything other than navigation.

ciao marcus
    Thanks for your feedback. I am finding the answer internally and get back to you soon.

Is it available for Nokia N95 (FP1)?

Where can i download it?

Angry Re: S60 Browser 7.1

i understand that nokia wish feedback. IT ll be nice that nokia give also feedback.
    So the question is does nokia update the browser in nokia n95 and where is locate the url of the download file .
    As i see better is disable feedback ask by Nokia PC suite .
    not happy user with default nokia browser and happy with skyfire .
    So stop spend money in a nokia web browser ( shure use free webkit engine ) if better alternative already exist like skyfire !!!

I think NOKIA should spend some energy (or money) to improve the browser because it's also the WRT engine. I update my N97 to firmware V2.0 and found it still cannot modify SVG content with javascript, a basic need for analog clock widget...

Hi,

There seems to be still some problems with the onclick event handling. The key code I receive is 0, should it be 13 or something else (ups, maybe the Navi selection key's code is 0 in E52 (with the new firmware)?)?

However, I have a bigger problem with the 7.1 browser. I get it stucked, I get even the whole E52 (with new firmware) stucked sometimes because of this. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the event handling, but I put this also here because I need to solve this very quickly. The background for this can be found from here: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=193486

I have disabled the navigation and handle all key events by myself. I have a carousel where I have links and textarea elements in that carousel scrolling up and down from element to element when pressing up and down keys. When a textarea element is entered, I call focus() function in my javascript key handle routine in order to get that element focused. I don't have any routine of my own to handle that focus but it's handled by the browser. Everything works just fine before I write some text into the textarea. When I write text into that textarea for the first time, then scroll to the next element by pressing up or down key (so I don't press the Navi select key (i.e. "enter") after writing the text), everything works - except a little bit slowly - once. When I scroll again to a textarea (the same as the previous one or another one), write some text and scrolled to the next element, the browser get stucked. Nothing can be done except restart the browser, and a coulple of times I have got the whole phone stucked... It works exactly in this way 9 times out of 10, so I can repeat it very easily. Should I do it so that I handle input/textarea elements focus totally by myself simulating somehow the browser's focus function? When writing this I don't know how to simulate e.g. textarea focus so that I can write some text into that area...

Any ideas to solve this?

Br,
    Markku R

It seems to me that nothing has happened related to onclick, onkeyup and onkeydown keycodes. Right codes are returned only for up/down/left/right and backspace, every other key returns 0. This is the case e.g. in Nokia E52 with the latest firmware...