Discussion Board

Question Can I develop using SproutCore on s60 5th edition?

I'd like to develop something for the s60 5th edition using SproutCore:

http://www.sproutcore.com/

A search of this "General Browsing" forum returned no results that referenced SproutCore. My concern is the separate branch of WebKit for the s60 lags significantly behind the main WebKit running in Safari, Chrome and on the Palm Pre. If that is true, it is likely to not play well with the SproutCore framework.

I'll start looking elsewhere for SproutCore specific forums that might be able to help me, but, still posting here in the hopes that someone following these forums has recently tried building something with SproutCore for the s60 5th edition. If I find out something material from an external source, I will report my findings back to this forum too.

Cheers, Van

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can I develop using SproutCore on s60 5th edition?

you can always try it out yourself, and let us know how it went.

Regular Contributor

I can tell you that it does not work. Sproutcore makes heavy use of mouse move events and these gets captured for panning the page around. I haven't found any documentation so far on how to mark areas not scrollable. This is possible on iPhone using some CSS to implement sliders and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    you can always try it out yourself, and let us know how it went.
    We have to deliver a new application and our first application for the N97 on a very tight timetable. We have been solely a web dev house up until now. I don't have time to be the trailblazer on this one. Given that the only response of anyone with some experience is that it probably won't work, I will scale back what we plan to do and stick to the basics for this go round.

Thumbs up Re: Can I develop using SproutCore on s60 5th edition?

Quote Originally Posted by axeljaeger View Post
    I can tell you that it does not work. Sproutcore makes heavy use of mouse move events and these gets captured for panning the page around. I haven't found any documentation so far on how to mark areas not scrollable. This is possible on iPhone using some CSS to implement sliders and stuff.
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful specific information even though it means I probably won't be using it for this short term rush project on my plate.

Regular Contributor

I have evaluated several programming languages now for my 5800. Here is my experience so far:
    - WRT: No signing required but graphics performance is worse than anything I have seen so far. Don't even think about animations. User has to dismiss security warning everytime the WRT wants to do something.
    - Python: Looks very promising but huge break between 3rd and 5th edition. Looks like any application needs to be ported from 3rd to 5th edition.
    - Java: The touch does not fit very well into the java micro edition that expects some hardware keys that get emulated using half of the screen for a keypad.
    - Developing using the native Avkon toolkit: Looks realy strange when you are used to desktop development. The API looks over engineered and as far as I understand will discuntiued in favor of Qt.
    - Qt: Very promising but not yet stable. This is what I am waiting for and what was the reason to get the 5800.

I was thinking that I could do some very small and basic applications with WRT untill Qt is finished but was very disappointed because a) the graphics performance b) Feeling not mature: No concept how to make drag and drop, no event for screen rotation, official nokia doc says: "Poll screensize".
    Last edited by axeljaeger; 2009-07-31 at 09:31. Reason: Replaced symbian with avkon because Avkon is the thing that is about to be replaced by Qt.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Symbian will not be discontinues it will be open sources, also it is not overengineered, it made robust and fit for small devices that are not re-booted possible ever.

Regular Contributor

I'm sorry, I used not precise terms here and corrected my original post: Not Symbian OS is going to be discontinued but the current user interface toolkit Avkon and as far is I can see the programming language Symbian C++. I'm not able to say anything about the quality or level of engineering of the operating system but I feel that the avkon framework is over engineered.

The original term was "Symbian C++ together with the native toolkit" will be discontinued. I think this is true because Symbian C++ is way different from standard C++, e.g. use Cleanup Stack, Two-Phase-Constructors and so on. When switching over to Qt, I realy hope that this is no longer required and as far as I can see when inspecting Qt example code, no one tries to keep these Symbian C++ things alive.

From the robustness I have to say that I reboot my phone about the same amount of times than my computer. So maybe robustness was the idea but from my experience it is not more or less stable than other operating system on the market
    Last edited by axeljaeger; 2009-07-31 at 09:45.