Discussion Board

pys60 on other devices questions

Hello all,
    I have a few questions regarding the Pys60 and the py2sis.
    1- If my python program file works on a nokia phone, will it work on other phones such as samsung, LG, sony, and so on.
    2- Will the .sis file i create that works on nokia work on other phones as well?
    3- IF i build an .sis file with an SDK for second edition FP3, is it backward compatible? e.g will it work for devices that are FP2 and FP1? Is this the same case for 3rd edition devices (FP1, FP2, FP3) and 5th editions?
    4- If the answers to 1 and 2 are no, is there a way to make it work?

Thank you

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: pys60 on other devices questions

Quote Originally Posted by eng_electric View Post
    Hello all,I have a few questions regarding the Pys60 and the py2sis.
    1- If my python program file works on a nokia phone, will it work on other phones such as samsung, LG, sony, and so on.
    is the mobile has an S60 ui then the application should work if bundled with Python interpreter signed by the phone manufacturer.
    AFAIK apart from nokia only some samsung devices have S60 UI, i am not aware of other devices.

2- Will the .sis file i create that works on nokia work on other phones as well?
    I feel the first and second question are same so answer is same.

3- IF i build an .sis file with an SDK for second edition FP3, is it backward compatible? e.g will it work for devices that are FP2 and FP1? Is this the same case for 3rd edition devices (FP1, FP2, FP3) and 5th editions?
    Actually that depends on which python version you are using you can make a sis work for all 2nd edition files if your python release is same. Please do correct me if i am wrong.

and answer to the 4th question is PyS60 applications will work only with S60 devices and that is why its name is PyS60.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Gaba88

Super Contributor

In general yes, in all Symbian phones: it will work on all devices where you can install PyS60 python runtime. For example Nokia and Samsung S60 devices have been used successfully. Real soon now Sony Ericsson is releasing several S60 devices, could be compatible.

Please note that at least earlier PyS60 runtime was signed with Nokia certificate and thus it couldn't be installed in Samsung phone. That's why Samsung recompiled and signed their own version of PyS60 runtime.

If you use features, which are backwards compatible. For example touch feature does not work in non-touch device, regardless of used SDK. Another example is Sensor API vs Sensor Framework.

4- If the answers to 1 and 2 are no, is there a way to make it work?
    Variate your code

Cheers,

--jouni

Thanks for your answers gaba88 and JOM.

@gaba88
    Actually that depends on which python version you are using you can make a sis work for all 2nd edition files if your python release is same. Please do correct me if i am wrong.
    I am using 1.4.3 python for 2nd editions, i tried to turn some .py files to .sis and worked fine for files that did not require importing modules such as keypad.pyd . Are you saying if i make a .sis with version 1.4.3, it wont work with other versions on phones thats below 1.4.3 and above 1.4.3 versions? I will have to check on this then

Is there a way to make the .sis file work without having to install the required soft key library or other libraries?

@JOM
    If you use features, which are backwards compatible. For example touch feature does not work in non-touch device, regardless of used SDK. Another example is Sensor API vs Sensor Framework.

Is there an option to choose or know the features? So an .sis file made with nokia 2nd edition sdk with FP3 will work normally with FP1 if it has normal features right?

thank you and sorry for the long questions >.<
    Last edited by eng_electric; 2009-07-25 at 13:18.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for your answers gaba88 and JOM.
    I am using 1.4.3 python for 2nd editions, i tried to turn some .py files to .sis and worked fine for files that did not require importing modules such as keypad.pyd . Are you saying if i make a .sis with version 1.4.3, it wont work with other versions on phones thats below 1.4.3 and above 1.4.3 versions? I will have to check on this then
    hello eng_electric

well my fellow champion jom has already explained that if the new SDK contains some additional APIs and if you are using those APIs in your script then you need to make different sis for different releases.
    For example if you are using the logs module its available from PyS60 1.4.4 so you cant make a sis using logs module and use that in 1.4.3.

Hope this is clear to you.

Is there a way to make the .sis file work without having to install the required soft key library or other libraries?
    no id your script is using the extension library then you need to install that.

regards
    Gaba88

Thanks gaba

Two more questions in this hope you dont mind

1- When making the .sis file, I use --uid=0x0FFFFFFF. I saw in the how to using a different uid. Is it important that the uid be the same of the mobile or will any uid work?

2- Some .sis will require libraries that are not originally installed, I know you can merge the python interpreter with the .sis file you want to make. Can i do the same with say for example the key modules done by cyke? turn them to .sis or merge them as an .sis like in the 3rd edition?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

1. Phones don't have a UID. Applications have UIDs.

0xAxxxxxxxx is for applications that are self signed. The UID is requested and associated with a Symbian signed account. This prevents different applications using the same UID and assists tracability when redistributed. Specifically it is for applications requiring only user grantable capabilities. From FP2 this includes Location. By default the certificate has a life of a year. There is a patch here to extend it.

0x2xxxxxxx range is for applications that must be Symbian signed by the licenced owner because they are using Extended Set capabilties. The UID is associated with a Symbian signed account. This prevents different applications using the same UID. Specifically it is intended that ALL applications in this range will be Sybmbian Signed BEFORE being redistributed publically.

0x1xxxxxxx - 0x0xxxxxxx range is for internal testing use only and should requires a publisher id to use. This is primarily for integration work with pre OS 9.x components and will not be Symbian Signed or redistributed.

2. Extensions can of course be packaged in a SIS file and merged with your application.

Hope it helps.
    --NirpSis

http://sites.google.com/site/nirpsis/
    http://nirpsis.blogspot.com/

Nokia Developer Champion

helle eng_electric

1.nirpsis has already given you a good know how of UIDs, moreover there is one more range that is from 0xE0000000--0xEFFFFFFF and they are known as the test range UIDs and you can use any of these in your application and get that signed in symbian signed online then your application will work.

2.again as nirpsis has told you can merge the extension module using the mergesis option of the ensymble.

Regards
    Gaba88