Discussion Board

E71X -- Application Closed !jes-232-java-comm@188b1a

I have a j2me midlet that installs fine on the E71X. I have two E71X phones on which I tested it. One one phone, the application closes right away. No errors no nothing. Simply launches...asks whether a data connection should be allowed and when we say "yes", it simply closes. Absolutely no idea what went wrong. On the second E71x if I install the application and launch the application, the phone asks the user to grant internet access permissions and when the user says "yes", an error is displayed that says "Application Closed. !jes-232-java-coms@188b1a". I have no idea what this actually means.

One of our partners built the application for the E71 (in europe) and we are just trying to port that into the US for the E71X with AT&T.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

Super Contributor

Re: E71X -- Application Closed !jes-232-java-comm@188b1a

What does the MIDlet do?
    My first guess would be that the MIDlet tries to do something which is not possible/allowed for unsigned MIDlets on AT&T devices (due to their customized security policy).

Some information available here
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...m_the_standard

And for more details, you should browse the AT&T developer Web site

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    What does the MIDlet do?
    My first guess would be that the MIDlet tries to do something which is not possible/allowed for unsigned MIDlets on AT&T devices (due to their customized security policy).

Some information available here
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...m_the_standard

And for more details, you should browse the AT&T developer Web site

Hartti
    Thanks Hartti.

The midlet does the following things. It stores some data in RMS. It uses bluetooth connectivity to connect to other hardware. It uses network connectivity (https). These are the only 3 services it uses. As soon as the application is launched, it tries to connect to the server to check for app updates. So a network connection is attempted as soon as the app is launched.

The midlet hasn't been sent for carrier certification yet but it has been signed by our company's Verisign code signing certificate. I believe, therefore, that the app falls under the trusted third party security domain.

I am still researching what else could go wrong. It works fine on the E71 device in europe. Nokia says it's the same JVM on the E71X. If the app dies right away as soon as it starts, there isn't anything much I can do to debug.

One interesting observation is that, when the phone asks the user permission for network access(https), if the user says "no" rather than "yes", then the app stays up (it won't die). The app just shows a dialog saying it cannot access the network (which is the correct app behavior if it cannot connect to the network). However, if the user says "yes" for allowing network access, the app dies (or shows "Application Closed !jes-232-java-comm@188b1a" on another E71X). If you have any other pointers/suggestions could you please help?
    Last edited by satishb; 2009-07-27 at 02:28.

Super Contributor

Signing with Verisign -does not matter. Bluetooth connectivity at least is not allowed on AT&T devices unless the app has been signed by AT&T. Same with socket connections (although you seem not to use that)

Please, as I suggested above, go to AT&T developer web site and look for this document
    "Security Requirements for Authorized Wireless AT&T Devices"
    (you need to registed on the web site to get access to this doc)

Best regards
    Hartti

Thanks Hartti. I did go through the AT&T Security Requirements document. It's available publicly. http://developer.att.com/devcentral/...y_Overview.pdf

According to the document, HTTPS connectivity options for Third Party Signed is "One Shot, Session, No Access". As soon as the application launches it tries to connect. The phone asks for permission to allow connection. We say yes. The application crashes on one phone (just disappears). On another phone it says "Application Closed !jes-232-java-comm@188b1a". I am still searching for solutions...no clue so far

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Signing with Verisign -does not matter. Bluetooth connectivity at least is not allowed on AT&T devices unless the app has been signed by AT&T. Same with socket connections (although you seem not to use that)

Please, as I suggested above, go to AT&T developer web site and look for this document
    "Security Requirements for Authorized Wireless AT&T Devices"
    (you need to registed on the web site to get access to this doc)

Best regards
    Hartti

After some very painful debugging of the application we found that the JVM on the Nokia E71X will crash if you do, for example, the following:

javax.microedition.io.HttpsConnection connection = (javax.microedition.io.HttpsConnection) Connector.open(url, Connector.READ_WRITE, true);
    connection.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "NokiaE71x/ATT.03.11.1 Mozilla/5.0 SymbianOS/9.3; U; [en]; Series60/3.2; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413");
    //Send receive data

Do that and the JVM will crash. Our solution was to simply cut down the size of the value of the User-Agent

connection.setRequestProperty("User-Agent", "NokiaE71x/ATT.03.11.1 Mozilla/5.0 SymbianOS/9.3; U; [en]; Series60/3.2;");

I am posting this in the hope that someone else will avoid such pain in troubleshooting the problem.

Super Contributor

Thanks satishb for reporting this. I'll pass this on to the dev & support team so they can verify this, create a known issue and push for a fix for this

Hartti

Hi,

I am getting the same problem on Device Anywhere.
    My application launched with an URL (on which I am able to jump to the next screen ie main menu screen).
    Then for next hit that mean by selecting option from menu(Application main menu) it is giving me "Application closed !jes-acd-java-comms @188ae6 USER23" error after pressing "yes" on network access alert.

Please help me out if anyone get any solution.

Regards,
    Aparna

Hi All,

This problem can be resolved by removing "User-Agent" from the URL or making it short.

Regards,
    Aparna

can you please tell me about signing a midlet,. I have given all permissions for connecting with server and I got the same exception "Application Closed. !jes-232-java-coms@188b1a". Please help me to do this. I have spend nearly 4 days to solve this issue.

mani.seipl, are you using a Nokia E71X from AT&T at all?