Discussion Board

Question QT S60 apps and Symbian Signing?

Hi,

I am currently developing a Qt for S60 software (target platform Symbian 5th Ed), and I am investigating about Symbian Signed stuff, I want my application be self signed without paying anything to Symbian. The software is a game and does not need any special capabilities (other than keeping track of user progress |levels, scores| on local file(s)). Can I self sign the application and distribute it to an infinite number of users or should I have to deal with Symbian signing process?

I would really be grateful if you clarify me about it, you see if I am forced to go threw the Symbian Signed stuff, paying licensing, testing houses etc.. then I prefer abandoning the project all together or switching it (port it) to other platforms (WM CF C++ or C#), J2ME – so in order not to waste my time on it anymore with S60, please inform me.

Thank you in advance!
    :-)

P.’S
    I do not own (yet until things get clarified) a 5th Ed. Device (all done under SDK emulator).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: QT S60 apps and Symbian Signing?

Qt or not you are still developing a Symbian OS application so you are subject to Symbian's Platform Security rules and restrictions. You must learn a bit about Symbian OS as well and you must learn about platform security.

Depending on the capabilities needed for your application you may be forced to use Symbian Signed certification. Also certification is mandatory for Ovi Store access. However, if your application uses a limited set of capabilities (or None) you may in fact release it as self-signed and it can be installed as such on every user's phone, with a warning note showing that the application is not trusted.

As said, you must do a bit of reading and then use this to recap: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/lu...symbian-signed

Please note:
    • Qt for S60 is currenly in technology preview stage, not suitable for production code (stability and performance wise). The Qt for S60 libraries are not yet Symbian Signed either so:
      • you can develop your application (for learning and testing purposes) but there is no binary compatibility guarantee as of now
      • even if you want to use Symbian Signed for a Qt application now, you can't
    • There is no licensing fee (license for what?) and Symbian Signed is recommended even if not mandatory (once Qt itself signed).
    • Symbian Signed can be free, see http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/lu...on-the-horizon
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-07-27 at 12:19.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: QT S60 apps and Symbian Signing?

Thank you very much!
    :-)