Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Nokia Developer Expert

Text Input S60 5ed in Canvas based apps

There have been a lot of questions since the S60 5th edition came out about how to popup a keyboard when using a Canvas based application.

There are two workarounds for that:

Using a Canvas Qwerty component

Using a Popup TextBox
    :Ruben

Re: Text Input S60 5ed in Canvas based apps

Very nice.

Hi,

I have used popup text box in my canvas based application for inputting the text.
    Basically Popup textbox is an UI enhancement over the traditional textbox.

Most of the people might know that in j2me applications for touch screen, the general and most used way to input text is - thru high level component like Textbox (the high level sub class of Screen class) which automatically invokes the native keyboard on screen for inputting text, special characters etc. The display properties like size, dimensions, location and color etc of such high level components cannot be controlled programmatically.
    For inputting the text when we switch displayable to textbox- the high level component, from canvas - the low level; textbox generally appears covering whole screen area and it’s impossible to alter the size, color etc. This looks awkward and cumbersome in terms of user experiences.
    Popup textbox is a platform feature since s60 5th edition which opens the textbox in smaller size just over the application’s canvas instead covering whole canvas. This gives a better UI experience to user.

To achieve this popup textbox functionality, only JAD parameter is to be added with appropriate value and no else programming is needed.
    e.g. add the following JAD parameter for obtaining this feature (but this will work only in s60 5th edition or later)

Nokia-UI-Enhancement: PopUpTextBox

Now I come to the problem what I faced in this new popup Textbox.
    I cannot set the max size of characters anymore in later stage whatever size is initialized once is final for this popup textbox whereas this issue is not with the general textbox.

In other words the textbox method setMaxSize(size) does not work if its called later after initialization to alter the max char size. Once set, it’s become final and later call to this method docent work

It looks that this is a platform bug. Please confirm it to me as I need a proof for this from Nokia weather it’s a platform issue.

Thanks and regards,
    Somendra
    Last edited by ersomendra; 2010-09-08 at 09:01. Reason: formatting

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective...
    Last edited by balagopalks; 2010-07-10 at 17:18. Reason: Removed advt URL

Regular Contributor

hi thanks, popuptextbox is new for me.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Manjul.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rdrincon View Post
    Do you have any example how to do similar things in S60 2nd edition and 3 edition enabled mobiles ?

Actually I want to make a search box for contact list similar to as we have in phonebook or contacts.

Example : Contact Search

Is it possible to make ? I also want to put a checkbox before each list element.

Thanks,
    Rahul Kulshreshtha
    Please choose Notification type as "Instant Email Notification". It must be default.

Super Contributor

Hello Rahul,

If you read the first post of rdrincon where he states this technique all about the S60 5th edition devices and not for the devices you are asking. If you look at the links that he provides, talks about the same. Over all this feature is for the touch screen based devices and hence can not be use for the non touch devices.

However neither the S60 2nd edition nor 3rd edition devices are touch screen based, they all are non-touch.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post

not for the devices you are asking. Over all this feature is for the touch screen based devices and hence can not be use for the non touch devices.

However neither the S60 2nd edition nor 3rd edition devices are touch screen based, they all are non-touch.
    Thanks Raj, I know this thing that's why I am asking for the alternative way. See the image I had attached in my question. There are several devices in 2nd edition and 3rd edition which are having contact search box. I know that is not a PopupTextBox. But still that is what I want. How to make such interface ? I have asked this question 3 times in three different threads but everybody becomes quiet after giving answer that popuptextbox is not for 2nd and 3rd editions. I don't want popuptext textbox. I want similar interface as contact list with search textbox. If it is there in device and mobile shows that then there should be some way to make similar interface in Midlets.

Here is link : http://www.mobilewitch.com/pics/news...kia-N82_11.jpg

Thanks,
    Rahul Kulshreshtha
    Please choose Notification type as "Instant Email Notification". It must be default.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rahul.kulshreshtha View Post
    Thanks Raj, I know this thing that's why I am asking for the alternative way. See the image I had attached in my question. There are several devices in 2nd edition and 3rd edition which are having contact search box. I know that is not a PopupTextBox. But still that is what I want. How to make such interface ? I have asked this question 3 times in three different threads but everybody becomes quiet after giving answer that popuptextbox is not for 2nd and 3rd editions. I don't want popuptext textbox. I want similar interface as contact list with search textbox. If it is there in device and mobile shows that then there should be some way to make similar interface in Midlets.

Here is link : http://www.mobilewitch.com/pics/news...kia-N82_11.jpg

Thanks,
    Rahul Kulshreshtha

Hi Rahul

I Understand your concern, If you are using high level UI (Like, form, screen) and want popupTextPox in s60, s40 , device , It's not possible, but if you any way want these functionality , than use Canvas, you can use the canvas try to create your own custom items, popup text box, custom alerts , custom list etc. off course it will take some efforts but it will work in all platforms. you can see the text box i created, It can be made as a half screen popup as well.

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA55CCA1
    http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA55D321
    - Mekal

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Text Input S60 5ed in Canvas based apps

Quote Originally Posted by mekal2002 View Post
    Hi Rahul

I Understand your concern, If you are using high level UI (Like, form, screen) and want popupTextPox in s60, s40 , device , It's not possible, but if you any way want these functionality , than use Canvas, you can use the canvas try to create your own custom items, popup text box, custom alerts , custom list etc. off course it will take some efforts but it will work in all platforms. you can see the text box i created, It can be made as a half screen popup as well.

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA55CCA1
    http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA55D321
    Thanks Mekal,

I have shifted to Qt and now developing with Qt and I found it is better and easy to use.
    Thanks,
    Rahul Kulshreshtha

ok youre good man. thanks!

Really nice thread to post