Discussion Board

Testing For Middle Soft Key Label

Hi, I'm developing an application for S60 v3.1 and v3.2, and the softkey label is available on 3.2 phones, but a 3.1 phone like the N95, while it does have the MSK, does not have an MSK label, so I wish to have an options menu instead of an immediate action for the left softkey.

To do this, I need to detect if a phone supports MSK labels or not, but I can't find a way to test for that. I tried what was said in the documentation which is this:

Code:
    #include <centralrepository.h>
    #include <avkoninternalcrkeys.h>  // KAknMiddleSoftkeyEnabled

TInt MSKenabled( 0 );
        CRepository* cenRep = NULL;
        TRAPD( err, cenRep = CRepository::NewL( KCRUidAvkon ) );
        if ( !err )
            {
            err = cenRep->Get( KAknMiddleSoftkeyEnabled, MSKenabled );
            delete cenRep;
            }
    However, avkoninternalcrkeys.h doesn't get found, and a search on Google yields nearly nothing.

Does anyone know how to test for MSK label support?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Testing For Middle Soft Key Label

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer Discussion Boards.

Try to use AknLayoutUtils::MSKEnabled() method, which returns ETrue if MSK is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.M. View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer Discussion Boards.

Try to use AknLayoutUtils::MSKEnabled() method, which returns ETrue if MSK is enabled.
    Hi A.A.M., thanks for your reply.

The function you mentioned tests if the application has enabled the MSK, and it is set when the application is constructed. In this case, it will return true, as my application is making use of the MSK. What I want to know is a bit trickier, which is whether or not the MSK's label that sits directly above the MSK will be visible or not. If so, I will make use of it, and just have 3 softkey options, left middle and right. If not though, I want to compress the middle and left soft key's actions into an options menu, which will be activated by the left soft key.

Nokia Developer Champion

Also you can try to use MSKEnabledInPlatform() method (returns ETrue if the middle softkey is supported in the plaftorm).

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.M. View Post
    Also you can try to use MSKEnabledInPlatform() method (returns ETrue if the middle softkey is supported in the plaftorm).
    Ah, this looks like what I want. It's not a static function though, of CEikCba, so I'd have to instantiate an object of that type to call this function. Is there something I can pull a CEikCba object out of, that already exists? The documentation says it's used in Avkon but doesn't say where.

Quote Originally Posted by xevix View Post
    Ah, this looks like what I want. It's not a static function though, of CEikCba, so I'd have to instantiate an object of that type to call this function. Is there something I can pull a CEikCba object out of, that already exists? The documentation says it's used in Avkon but doesn't say where.
    Also, this CEikCba seems to be uninstantiable, so I guess this is impossible after all.