Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Source Code for the CameraWrapper in S60_Platform_Camera_Example_v3_0_en.zip

Hi,

Camera sample application is using a binary distribution of a camera wrapper (aptly named camerawrapper.sisx).
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.zip.html

Where can I get the source code for the above wrapper?

I want to be able to understand how to use the camera across platforms and the key for doing so is inside. In additional support for future devices can not be guaranteed without the source code.

Thanks,

xor

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Source Code for the CameraWrapper in S60_Platform_Camera_Example_v3_0_en.zip

Not really familiar with that particular example, but most likely if it using a sis file that is said to be required to be embedded into your own sis, then it usually means that the APIs used in it are not publicly available, thus the source code is also not publicly available.

Re: Source Code for the CameraWrapper in S60_Platform_Camera_Example_v3_0_en.zip

Thanks.

This is the whole problem.

The camera example is supposed to show you how to operate the camera across platforms. However, instead of showing you how to do so, it provides you a blackbox binary that while it works, it does not show you how. Moreover, it is probably a bad idea to reply on this binary blackbox, because future models might not work and then you're stuck.

Thanks again,

xor
    Last edited by xorrox; 2009-08-09 at 13:43.

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    The best way to use the camera example is to use the original camera engine example from wiki and then depending on the platform (fp2 or prior) use autofocus functionality: camera advanced settings or static autofocus library.
    It will require using preprocessor defines in many places: in controller,engine,view etc.. but you will control exactly the camera behaviour.
    (In .mmp file, depending on platform, you can also decide if to add the static library)

Regards
    Assayag

Thanks,

It seems to me that the whole reason for the wrapper's existence is to solve the need for this kind of messing around with the camera's API. I wish the source code was released - it would make adapting to future devices easier.

xor

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not really see how you would benefit from having the source code for that wrapper.
    - presumably in its current form it is not aware of devices and API-s which will become available in (say) 2012, so you could not learn "future compatibility" from it
    - according to what you write, you would plan to integrate the wrapper on source code level into your code
    -- it would result in code multiplication - your binary would contain the wrapper regardless of its presence on the device
    -- and in fact it would result in lowered compatibility: even if a new version of the wrapper would be released, your particular application could not make use of it, because it would use the duplicated+obsolete version

Regular Contributor

API-s which will become available in (say) 2012

If someone in Nokia is hearing, one of the advantages of Nokia over iPhone is the camera quality.
    If the API are public so third-party can make real-time image processing/computer vision applications using Nokia it will increase considerably this advantage.....

Assayag

I do not really see how you would benefit from having the source code for that wrapper.
    - presumably in its current form it is not aware of devices and API-s which will become available in (say) 2012, so you could not learn "future compatibility" from it
    - according to what you write, you would plan to integrate the wrapper on source code level into your code
    -- it would result in code multiplication - your binary would contain the wrapper regardless of its presence on the device
    -- and in fact it would result in lowered compatibility: even if a new version of the wrapper would be released, your particular application could not make use of it, because it would use the duplicated+obsolete version
    What is your solution then for having a single API for the camera? That is, if I want the same application code to operate the auto focus and zoom.

API-s which will become available in (say) 2012

If someone in Nokia is hearing, one of the advantages of Nokia over iPhone is the camera quality.
    If the API are public so third-party can make real-time image processing/computer vision applications using Nokia it will increase considerably this advantage.....

Assayag
    I agree. Nokia, Excellent optics (on most AF devices), raw bitmap access and native C/C++ code. Humpered by buggy and partially documented API(s) for the camera and many incompatibilities between devices.

Conclusion:

I got the source code for the wrapper from Nokia. I have absolutely no idea why they did not release it.

xor

Quote Originally Posted by xorrox View Post
    Conclusion:

I got the source code for the wrapper from Nokia. I have absolutely no idea why they did not release it.

xor
    Did you get it via API partnering?

Nokia Developer Expert

API partnering will not help you on getting soure codes of internal APIs.

Is there anything else via which you are given access to the source code.

Quote Originally Posted by kamalakshan View Post
    Is there anything else via which you are given access to the source code.
    There is no internal API about the code. It's all public APIs - just cleaned up so it works across platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by xorrox View Post
    There is no internal API about the code. It's all public APIs - just cleaned up so it works across platforms.
    You had stated that you got the code from Nokia. I wanted to know if the code is made available for public access, if not how to did you get access to it.