Discussion Board

Advice on the platform choice

Dear All,

I'm about to begin developing an application with the following characteristics:
    1. Should work on as many different devices as possible
    2. Silently (without user permission) send SMS to a server once a day
    3. If a device has built in GPS module, use it to report current location to the server
    4. The devices should run in the background, users should be able to use their phones (make calls, etc) normally.
    5. Developed in Linux

I have no experience with neither PyS60 nor JavaME programming, and I'm trying to figure out which one would be a better match for the above criteria. I did some reading (i.e. http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/da...ich_technology), so let me share my thoughts and hopefully get some feedback from someone more experienced than I am:

1. JavaME apps can be run on a wider range of device, PyS60 apps can only be run on Nokia S60 phones and very few other models. If I were to deploy a PyS60 app I would have to distribute Python interpreter with it, as I cannot assume that all S60 phones have it. However, I the interpreter is different for different S60 editions.

2. & 3. In JavaME I would need to get a certificate and have my app signed (though Java Verified) in order to send messages without user prompt. The process is possibly costly (not a problem) and can take weeks (big problem, as the app should be deployed asap). I'm still not sure about this in PyS60. Can I send SMS-es and fetch GPS coordinates without going through symbian signed procedure? Could anyone provide more info?

4. I haven't find any articles that would confirm that this is possible in any of the platforms mentioned.

5. It would be nice to have a IDE+emulator for PyS60 on Linux. I already installed Eclipse + Sun Wireless Toolkit for Ubuntu, looks nice. Is anything similar available for S60? All that I could find was http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...ing_With_Linux but it doesn't say anything about emulation.

Any feedback is appreciated,

cheers,

Veljko

NOTE: this app will be a part of a university research project, no worries, the people using the app will not be charged for SMSes sent.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Advice on the platform choice

Hi,
    1. Should work on as many different devices as possible
    2. Silently (without user permission) send SMS to a server once a day
    3. If a device has built in GPS module, use it to report current location to the server
    4. The devices should run in the background, users should be able to use their phones (make calls, etc) normally.
    5. Developed in Linux
    1. PyS60 is restricted to S60 devices.
    2. and 3. possible with PyS60
    4. The application can be silently run in background, but can't yet be invisible from the Installations or Applications folder. (There is envy extension for hiding it from the taskbar, specific to 1.4.5)
    5. You can write Python scripts from any text editor. However, S60 SDKs (emulator) is not available for Linux yet! But you can use RDA or buy a cheap device to test scripts.

However, I the interpreter is different for different S60 editions.
    Yes, it is different for S60 3rd edition FP1 devices and S60 3rd edition FP2 devices. If you consider developing on S60 2nd edition devices too, there will be more variants (S60 2nd edition devices support PyS60 1.4.5 and earlier)
    2. & 3. In JavaME I would need to get a certificate and have my app signed (though Java Verified) in order to send messages without user prompt. The process is possibly costly (not a problem) and can take weeks (big problem, as the app should be deployed asap). I'm still not sure about this in PyS60. Can I send SMS-es and fetch GPS coordinates without going through symbian signed procedure? Could anyone provide more info?

4. I haven't find any articles that would confirm that this is possible in any of the platforms mentioned.

5. It would be nice to have a IDE+emulator for PyS60 on Linux. I already installed Eclipse + Sun Wireless Toolkit for Ubuntu, looks nice. Is anything similar available for S60? All that I could find was http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...ing_With_Linux but it doesn't say anything about emulation.

Symbian signing is not mandatory, it depends on what capabilities your application uses. Location was added as a self signed capability in S60 3rd FP2, I guess

No official IDE is available for PyS60, however, many open-source editors (or IDE) can be used with PyS60. E.g. Notepad++, Textpad, Eclipse, Eric IDE, etc.

All the best!
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Thanks a lot for the clarifications,

PyS60 seems less restricted than Java, then. On the other hand, it's a bit scary that one can develop and distribute an app that will waste people's SMSes without them knowing about it

I have one more question regarding the interpreter: Could I bundle all interpreter versions with my code and then dynamically, at the time the app is deployed, determine the S60 edition and install the appropriate interpreter? If that's true than I don't have to focus my development on a specific edition (as long as the APIs used are general enough).

Regarding the testing part, is there a device that you'd recommend?

Cheers,

Veljko

Nokia Developer Moderator

I don't see any feasible mechanism as of now, to detect the version of the device and accordingly install the corresponding dependencies.

Recommended devices - depends upon your target phone and type of application, however below are some that I prefer,

S60 3rd Edition FP1 - N95 8GB
    S60 3rd Edition FP2 - Nokia 6220c
    S60 5th Edition - Nokia 5800 ExpressMusic
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com